Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Do you think the col reg

2.) This didn't need emphasising. What needed emphasising is that craft should keep to the starboard side of the channel if it is practical to do so, then the finer points of the racing regulations & other collision regs wouldn't be excerised quite so often. This has already been done by Portsmouth QHM for Portsmouth Harbour in the small boat channel and is enthusiastically enforced by the hbr patrol to maintain some basic sense of orderly flow: it looks as if a serious collision or two will be needed before anything changes in Chichester.

dv.

duncan is offline Registered User

from my limited knowledge of Chi harbour I would agree - the establishment of a TSS in the entrance would make sense. Only needs to cover a 200m stretch to do it's job.

However not a SSC - In Poole harbour entrance the existence of the small ships channel actually causes even more mayhem when the entrance is busy with craft entering the harbour to stb of the SSC getting sandwiched by those leaving via the SSC and those considering themselves to the port of the main channel - and that's before the ones heading off to the East Looe channel make their manoevre!

Did you not see the smiley face in my header, not a bad day at all....

[ QUOTE ]
    ....Can you imagine if the highway code was so complicated and woolly?

We don't diferentiate between 16 ton lorries and pushbikes on the road, they all have to respect the same rules applied equally .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read the highway code recently, it is equally ambiguous.

Only the bits marked "must/must not" are legal requirements, the rest go to court to establish liability so are open to interpretation.

You also have categories such as "Road users requiring extra care" and the car driver has to make allowance for them. Then there is "Buses, coaches and trams" where you "give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops"

They sound worse than the ColRegs to me and could open up all sorts of possibilities.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

I've got no problem with "power gives way to sail" as long as yotties realise that having your engine running and your sails down means you're a powerboat!

Lost count of the number of times I've been chopped off coming into Brighton because of that.

boatone is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    You really shouldn't need to worry about the 18-20knot racing dinghies - especially when they've got their kites up ... keep a constant course and speed (as much as possible) and they will go round you - either that or they'll have a swim - in that case get your camera out and have a good hearty chuckle ... I've been one of them dinghies and had yachts & mobos try and get out of my way ... (very nice of them) but it doesn't help cos I'm planning my path 1/2-3/4 mile in front ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments do raise an interesting side to this debate.
    How many motor boaters actually understand how sailing boats work and their options for action to avoid you? They can mostly turn on a sixpence and will quite deliberately leave a tack till the last second to get the most out of it.
    This can be very un-nerving for the other vessel but your advice to maintain course and speed is generally not a bad decision, especially in a displacement boat. Don't totally rely on it though....its usually possible to get a handle on how competent the sailors are from their behaviour and the nature of the race. You can also pick up a lot by recognising their racing marks which will give you a good lead on their likely intentions.
    Thames powered craft owner ? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

[ QUOTE ]
    They can mostly turn on a sixpence and will quite deliberately leave a tack till the last second to get the most out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I believe they will call (ok then shout!) if they believe you should be keeping clear ... this is more prevelant in the slower dinghies...

The best thing to do is get eye contact with the helm - once you've got that and you know you've seen each other it should soon become apparent what his intentions are. Not always the easiest thing to do though - especially if you can't see them behind that big f*ck0ff coloured rag they insist on putting up at the front of the boat ...

Oh - if there are lots of them about and your near a big yellow mark .. I suggest you MOVE rapidly ... cos there could be carnage ... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]