Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    fisherman is offline Registered User

Default Re: 3 Drowned, 1 Survived clinging to hull all night, How does it happen?

The RNLI CPRS would have initiated a rescue in this case. It causes the alarm to be raised along with gps info when the power supply to it fails. As a fishing vessel I am not allowed to strap my liferaft down, and if I have a hydro it must be in date. I sometimes think that you need to admit that things are going wrong and shout before it gets too desperate, but God only knows what happened here.
    In another thread someone asked where is the best chippy between Plymouth and Scilly. Perhaps it is the RNMDSF in Newlyn:- you'll get a huge meal for two quid, and put money in a good place.

Default Re: 3 Drowned, 1 Survived clinging to hull all night, How does it happen?

"3 Drowned, 1 Survived clinging to hull all night, How does it happen? "

FISHERMEN!

JJTOP

[ QUOTE ]
    "3 Drowned, 1 Survived clinging to hull all night, How does it happen? "

FISHERMEN!

JJTOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but that is SICK! 3 families have lost their fathers, sons, brothers 12 days before Christmas.

Next time it might be you or someone you love.

PW

I didn't read that as a joke, just an exclamation. 'tis still one of our most dangerous industries to work in.

duncan is offline Registered User

as you I read it that way too DV. If I hadn't I would be standing alongside PW.

commercial fishing would seem to be about cutting corners; whether they be safety, catch regulation or whatever. The skipper will have had detailed information about the area they were trawling but will have gone as close to the wreck, or other hazard, as he deemed appropriate. If it was a new hazard then I apologise but generally good fishing and risk go hand in hand - with modern electronics the only change is that the risk is better known.

Those watching the crab fishing on Discovery, or with an understanding of the swordfishing boats, are only looking at extreme examples of everyday commercial fishing activity for many.

Is there not some kind of 'emergency release' so that if the wheel comes off you can hit the button and ditch the net? Must be better than losing lives!

quote]"3 Drowned, 1 Survived clinging to hull all night, How does it happen? "

FISHERMEN!

JJTOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Jack, would you like to explain yourself?

How many of you trade in stocks and shares, or run businesses, small or otherwise. Your investments start to decline, how long do you hang on in there? When do you admit that the excrement has met the Vent-Axia, and it's time to go? You've been doing this for years, surely it will turn around. So with fishing, either as a business, and it's financial viability, or as an increasingly dangerous situation, when a decision has to be made to 'cut and run'. sometimes you just hang on to that hitched gear. People don't go fishing for profit, they go fishing because they are fishermen, and if times are hard, well, hard times breed hard men. Working fishing gear is just like driving a car, or manipulating the money markets, day by day. We're all taking a chance. It's just that the consequences can be a bit various.

Some do understand and have empathy.

press button lose 2000 in nets, don't press button lose life.
    I did deep sea Fishing once .Learning a lesson that you guy's don't get paid enough... Lets Please all show respect and decorum to these people who've lost their lives

cheers Joe
    "It was the crew's fault"

Fisherman, you've said it for me. Most of the sentimental stuff previously posted has come from people who I suspect have never been offshore. Who, apart from a pension fund have never taken a personal risk in their working lives. I certainly regret the deaths of these seafarers but not their fortitude.
    JJTOP