Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Doral 250 purchase

We are looking at purchasing a second hand Doral 250 (petrol) as our first venture into motor boats as a family. We have done a fair amount of research into boat types in order to narrow it down to the Doral, including a few sea trials. Does anyone have any comments on our selection ??

We are likely to keep whatever we buy on a swing mooring on the River Exe and intend to use it for mainly coastal cruising around South Devon.

Any help and views welcomed.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike

petem is offline Registered User

Default Re: Doral 250 purchase

Mike, welcome to the forum. Before we start would you like comments regarding petrol v. diesel or comments purely about the Doral?

Pete

Pete
    Thanks - have kind of eliminated the diesel option on the price factor. As our first family boating venture don't want to make too large a financial commitment up front.
    Am well aware of the safety, running cost, availability aspects of diesel over petrol, but by my calculations we would have to do thousands of miles just to eliminate the price differential.

Mike
    Mike

Welcome Mike, TerryW is the Doral expert on here, perhaps you could PM him. I am atthe 25ft stage at the moment, I looked at the Doral and was impressed, a good choice. You are right about the Petrol Diesel cost issue, just ensure that where you are going to travel you have access to petrol. Also ensure that you have enough in your budget for safety gear especially if you are doing coastal crusining.

I am sure you will have loads of fun in it, I have only been boating for 3 years and love every minute of it, you will learn loads on here, everyone is so polite, generous, caring and helpful [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dorals certainly seem well built, but then they do come at something of a premium. There do seem a few of the smaller ones for sale, so perhaps you can negotiate hard ! But if you done some sea trials and are happy, get the wallet out, and enjoy yourselves !

Best built small boats - period.
    A friend owns a prenstacia and it never stops to amaze me.
    It is better build than my T48, and with more expensive subsystems.
    It also goes very well and can handle the chop. Only downside is the motion at anchor, as it is a bit high.

Make sure to haggle. They don't have a following yet; the importer relies on us to create a following and a reputation. Shouldn't this be compensated for?

duncan is offline Registered User

There is a nice 250 near me and I am not aware of it suffering any problems. Owner is happy with it and it looks nice. Seems to have an enormous bathing platform - is this standard? Certainly usefull.

Would be high on my list for that class of craft

Bathing platform usual, but not standard I don't think

Martyn

Thanks for the comments so far. We are looking at the 250 (Montecello), with standard (not extended !) bathing platform.

Has anyone heard of any issues with these boats that I should be aware of during negotiations (and survey).

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike

My old neighbour on Windermere had a problem with the extended bathing platform de-laminating but seeing you are not having this then its not a problem.

BTW the dealer sorted it by overlaying with teak which gave him a nice swim platform but not sure whats going on underneath.

Nice boat though, I agree that for its size it looks the class leader.