Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gandy is offline Registered User

Default Converting from Butane to Propane

Hi,

Would anyone like to comment on whether an "Eastham" cooker, currently working on Butane, would need any changes to run on Propane instead?

(I'm just speaking about the cooker, here. I know I'll need a different regulator at the cylinder)

Thanks,

Tony S
    Tony S

Talbot is offline Registered User

Default Re: Converting from Butane to Propane

My recommendation would be to go to the Calor Gas site and ask for a definitive answer.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

You are obviously frozen up.
    I can't say exactly for your model but most LPG stoves using regulated gas seem to be able to do both. I would say just try it and see.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

From the Calor site:

"A point that is worth making is that although most UK gas appliances are made to operate with Butane @28mb or Propane @37mb they will operate safely at either 37mb Butane or 28mb Propane. We do not recommended that this be done for extended periods, but itís useful to know in an emergency. With a cooker the only concern is that the simmer levels on the hotplate may be different."
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

Have changed two gas appliance equipped facilities ....

My Mobile Summer Home in UK was Butane when I bought it ... water heater, cokker and heater. Changed regulator and cylinder - all appliances without modification - original burners etc. No problem.

My Cooker in the house in Latvia was supplied with Town gas burners .... had to unscrew the tiny brass jets under the hob plates and fit slightly different gauge jets .... One I didn't have the right jet for - so left it. Only difference is at low setting the town gas hob flame is less controllable at low setting. The gas guys reckoned that it was not a problem to stay with wrong jets - but fitting correct ones would give better control - proof of the pudding so they say !!
    As I have found .... if you change regulator - it works - but it is worth checking any web-page you can find to make sure. Gas is not something to play around with and both above were overseen by gas fitters - GOOD ones .... not just any old Corgi out of paper !!

And before anyone accuses me - I do not advocate unsafe practice and any doubts etc. should be checked and doublechecked.

we use both camping gaz & calor propane via change-over valve.
    would go totally propane but not enough room in gas locker
    I may be wrong but not always

On our cooker you simply turn the burner rings over for propane.... different hole sizes I guess.....

on my bene 351 i just put a bottle of propane with a propane reg on and it worked fine, no change to anything. my mate who works for calor said most appliances work ok with doing what i did, nothing to lose, just try it, if you are near pwllheli or llangollen contact me for a borrow of the reg.
    stu

Stemar is offline Registered User

I lived in a caravan for some time, and had three adaptors - Camping Gaz and Calor, both butane, which I used in summer, accordong to what I could get, and Calor propane which I used in winter. I've also used propane and butane interchageably in France. The only difference was that you were allowed to put a butane cylinder in a cupboard in the kitchen, but the propane - usually several bottles - had to be outside.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

When I bought my hob & oven I was told there was no need to change anything to run on propane. I have since run on propane using the approved propane regulator. I have also had my propane bottles refilled with butane in the Canaries and run it through the propane regulator with no problems.

(CYA note: you can put butane in propane bottles but NEVER vice versa)
    One hull good, two hulls better.