Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Default Re: I think I get this...

And of course the luxury tax proved a huge failure and was withdrawn but actually left permanent damage behind in some industries letting importers gain a higher percentage of the market.

I think that it very easy to whip the gin palace rubbish and easily get the popular press on the wrong side. I agree with those who say that.

I think that we will probably now keep derogation because of the simple lack of benefit to tax revenues and the employment issues raised. Its simply not worth the government bothering with it.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

Default Re: The government should argue THEIR case, imho

>>>
    Re. "world union" - I think my childhood prediliction for sci-fi led me to think that a World government was the perfect solution, and gives me a positive gut-feeling about any form of integration and federalism. Today Europe, tomorrow (well, perhaps not), the rest.
    >>>

Same prediliction, and remains unchanged. I'd be quite willing to live in, say, "Doc" Smith's Civilisation (preferably after Boskone is defeated), note that he was an advocate of ever lowering taxes to allow maximised productivity. By contrast there are some pretty dystopian ones as well, the world inhabited by Gil Hamilton is none too appealing, most of us would have gone to the organ banks by now.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

[ QUOTE ]
    That's why the EU commission is plugging ahead so slowly - basically boring the governments to death one step at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Democracy in action.

I think you have just summed up in one sentence why I would rather die fighting that allow European integration or federalisation.

Don't know Gil Hamilton but Doc Smith was certainly one of my early reads. I tried him again a year or two ago and found him impossible. Might try again when I'm in a more tolerant frame of mind.

I think it's CJ Cherryh's Merchanter universe that would appeal most as a place to be, or perhaps as one of the less adventurous citizens of Iain M Banks galaxy. The absolute nirvana, though, would be Michael Moorcocks Earth in Dancers and the End of Time. Totally tolerant, totally decadent.

Damn it's hard to grow up when you still read books that fire your imagination, although not perhaps your "people skills".

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

Gil Hamilton is a character from Larry Niven Try The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton, The Patchwork Girl, or even A Gift From Earth. Doc Smith appears so cliched because he was responsible for many of the space opera cliches:-)
    >
    The absolute nirvana, though, would be Michael Moorcocks Earth in Dancers and the End of Time. Totally tolerant, totally decadent.
    >
    Not, perhaps, a society that rewards those that put in the effort, wonder how the economics work:-)

BTW I'd rate the Terran Federation of Starship Troopers as pretty dystopian by our standards but highly desirable by its own.

Don't grow up, stick to the spec fic.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Default Re: Henry\'s Readers

TCM another big mistake I am afraid in one of your early postings. I feel obliged to correct you. You claim in your postings you know about cats. I would be very careful about some of your cat postings if you want to taken seriously by people who understand these boats. Quotes like this show you have no idea whatsoever.

"Whatever - i wd be very cautious of anyone buying an Ecocat. They're lightly built , it says in the website. Is this to improve speed and economy? Unlikely.

For the record lightly built is a major advantage with cat products and a lot of money is spent in keeping the boats lightweight in order to improve cat speed and performance. Lightweight and strength are not inseparable. You are highlighting a strength in one of Henrys boats which I dont think you intended- am I right?.

You may not care. If this is not the case please try one and learn.
    Sustainable marine products, boats and services.
    www.mcpmarine.com

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425