Thread: chart software

jim99 is offline Registered User

Default chart software

Curious.

Those who use cmap93 or cmap93/3 chart CDs, is there a reasonably cheap navigation programme (other than Maxsea) that they will run on?

Also, I have seen Tsunamis99 world vector chart CDs offered on ebay. Are these the cmap93 charts that have been making the rounds among cruisers or something else?

cheers
    Jim
    <i>Silom</i>, Tayana 37

Default Re: chart software ... CM93

Very few chart programs use CM93 ... as it is a professional system of vector charts ...

Best is the actual Cmap system itself - CMapECS which is available for pirate download all over the web ... but it only runs in 256 colour mode. So you need to auto switch display mode if Win 2000 or XP ....

For overall use - Maxsea is the best way to go as then it allows Cmap93 to display in whatever screen mode you use ...
    As I understand it .... Cmap has withdrawn CM93 use from later versions of Maxsea ... (vers. 12 onwards ....) Probably due to the number of pirate sites making CM93 vers 1 + 2 available .... Maxsea later versions can use CMap NT or the later encrypted CM93/3 .....

Tsunami is a different beast all together ....

steverow is offline Registered User

Default Re: chart software

The TS99 charts being offered on Ebay from previous postings on here some months back are old...I think probably WF7 which was the most "hacked" version, these date from 1999 before any meaningful security was applied to the charts and are now well out of date.
    I would be very careful in purchasing anything like this if I were you apart from the illegality of doing so. I am suprised that this hasnt been removed from Ebay by now..as I thought they were supposed to be cleaning up their act.

CM93 charts are the business.
    The current version is CM93/3.
    The major chart programs to use them are as you mentioned Maxsea, and Navmaster Offshore/Superyacht from PC maritime and also a host of Ship IBS IMO compliant ECDIS systems. Cmap used to do their own program called C-mapECS which used to run the older CM93 and/2 but this hasnt been available for some years..legally anyway.
    They are however very expensive, costing in the region of 800-900 for what the leisure sailor would define as a cruising area.
    C-mapNT or NTmax which a lot of leisure programs use is a good alternative.
    They dont have the same level of interactivity as CM93, but in general the NTmax has lots of stuff in it like 3D rolling road etc etc, and are really quite good value for money at around 130 for an area. Dunno if Thailand is covered but may be.
    You can find loads more info on the C-map website http://www.c-map.co.uk
    There are quite a few progs that use NT..like "Software on Board" which is freeware..and Maxsea which can use NTmax from version 12.5...the current version I beleive.
    Its a pity that we are not in the US as all S57 vector charts (the equivalent to CM93/3) are now available for free download from NOAA.

Steve.

Digiboat on Google or wxtides all you need

jim99 is offline Registered User

Thanks for the help and education.

It could be the TS99s have been pulled, because I went back to check for details and couldn't find a mention. I guess that says a lot.

Many cruisers I meet, other than the rich and famous, seem to have a couple cm93 disks and a cracked version of Maxsea. I was just figuring maybe I wouldn't go that route, find something a little downmarket, but that still ran most everything, something I could learn and not have to learn anything else, while keeping my options wide open if I ever needed to "borrow" charts.

I'm new to electronic charts, and have just been poking around to find out what the alternatives are and asking stupid questions.

Did download SOB a while back (they never sent me the promised CDs -- maybe too far or maybe they don't trust sending software to all the crackers who live in my neck of the woods [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ... It seemed fine. Wasn't too impressed with the sample charts they sent with it, but I guess I have a lot to learn about vector charts and spend some time getting comfortable with them.

It could be that NTMax is the way I will go. Hard to find anything cheaper than their mega-wide regions.

cheers
    Jim
    <i>Silom</i>, Tayana 37

6. Default

Hi there, As far as I know, the cm93 charts work well with Open CPN, which is free download.