Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Anchor Balls & Anchor Lights

Who uses them?

In two seasons in Majorca I have seen many boats at anchor but only one anchor ball displayed.

Likewise, in summer many boats anchor just outside the breakwater of the marina and I would be suprised if more than 10% of them have their anchor lights on.

Is this common?

Martyn

Default Re: Anchor Balls & Anchor Lights

Yes it common.
    I use both.

Should someone hit my boat whilst at anchor, say a raggie, they can claim that they thought they had right of way and the issue becomes foggy. With an anchor ball up I am making it clear I am at anchor and remove the excuse so for the few pounds it costs it is well worth it.

I have two plastic clips on mine, keep it in the anchor locker and simply clip it to the bow rail.

I also use an anchor light despite often being surrounded by dozens of boats without them - for the same reason.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Usually remember to hang the anchor ball out (but not always admittedly). Always put the anchor light on overnight though - would seem crazy not to. I wonder what the implications of not having it on would be, insurance wise.

I seem to recall there was quite a debate as to whether to put the anchor light on when on a buoy overnight - such as those outside Yarmouth. Must admit, I think I would err on the side of caution - can't be any harm in being more visible...

Rick

omega2 is offline Registered User

no ball/light, no insurance, and as we all know the sailors use us as transit marks, annoying when trying to fish.

mjf is offline Registered User

I too am amazed at the cavalier attitude shown in the lights / ball thing. esp the ball.

Not displaying the correct lights/shapes means that if you have a collision then you are negligent party. Plain and simple.

On a MOBO displaying the ball forward is a bit tricky. I have a length of plastic pipe the same diameter as my anchor winch handle slot and the ball sits about 1.5m off the deck right ford and midships.

In a crowded recognised anchorage I normally don't bother.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

I know it can seem like you're being used as transit marks but I suspect that's very rarely true - it's much more to do with the "magnetic buoy" phenomenon that inexperienced raggie helmspeople encounter.

Basically an inexperienced helm will see a buoy/anchored boat well ahead, look at the way their bow is pointing and decides they'll pass easily to one side. As sailing boats slip sideways a bit downwind, and there may also be cross-tides then the steering gets more and more exaggerated as the object gets closer in a vain attempt to leave the object on the side that the helm originally chose. An experienced helm would have quickly changed their mind on which side to pass and left plenty of room without losing any speed or ground.

In extreme conditions of idiocy the yacht actually clangs against the bouy but mostly you see them sailing along the coast as if every bouy and anchored boat was put specifically in their way. Funny to watch but I guess not much fun if you're having a quiet day fishing.

on a similar theme - has anyone ever seen a sailing boat displaying a cone whilst motoring along?

yes I have - once in five years!
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Yep, I was on it while it was hoisted. Then took a photo.

We took it down before entering Cherbourg so we didn't get piss taken bvy other forumites