Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Spain - Customs - Help!

I'm in the UK for a few weeks but my wife's in Spain (Marbella).
    The Spanish Customs have descended on the harbour and issued requests to inspect papers (which we have, no problem there, as such) to all and sundry. However we, like other people have been moored there for some while (e.g a year or more). We have a house nearby so haven't necessarily been living aboard all that time, but the boat has been in Spanish waters and tied up in a Spanish marina for more than the formal X months (however many months that is). Obviously we (and others) are worried about potential fines, taxes, etc etc.

Because my wife was not on the boat or even living aboard at the time the officers visited, she got a phone call, then a fax asking for her to visit their offices with the ship's papers. She's bought some time, so this tricky interview has not yet taken place.

Any advice, information, benefits of experience . . would be gratefully received.
    PM if you wish.

Sincere thanks
    > french-waterways.com < Information+Inspiration!

Wansworth is online now Registered User

Default Re: Spain - Customs - Help!

All depends on your status.Iam a resident with residecy card.I have been told that to keep a boat in Spain I have one month from entering spanish waters to put in process the reflagging of the boat and have it inspected and pay appropiate fees.As a non resident you have something in the region of 180 days then you are liable forsome kind of tax,not sure about this bit.

How can they tax a EU boat, I thought all that was illegal?? Freediom of sccess etc.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

What we take for freedom of movement does not really apply,there are controls probably in all eu states,they mean freedom for capital to move about but for actual people ...no way jose!Best bet go to Spanish Embassy in London and get the info from horses mouth,there are too many stories about what is what.

If you have Spanish "residencia" then you are (supposedly) obliged to reflag your British flagged boat within the statutory 183 days of "arriving" in Spain. The Spanish will treat your boat as an item of "wealth" that you are bringing/have brought into Spain and will require a one off "wealth tax" payment based on the current value of the boat. (It's a %age based on the value of the boat).

If you are non-residencia then the boat can remain UK flagged but you are then liable for what is known as G5 (after the 183 days). Basically you have a UK asset that is taking up space in Spain, albeit on water, and the Spanish want their pound of flesh. in the form of this tax. (For a boat taking up a 15 x 5m berth this is in the region of 70's a month)

Having said all that then it can depend in what area you are and as to how vigourously these rules are enforced. It seems like you have a purge going on - DO NOT UPSET OR ARGUE WITH THE AUTHORITIES - it will only make it worse!!!

http://www.seraph-sailing.com

The important issue is not the boat - it is you. You can travel to and from Spain as often as you like as a tourist but if you move to Spain to live there you become subject to Spanish laws and taxes. One of those laws is that you must re-flag your boat as Spanish.

So what constitutes 'moving to Spain to live there?' It is not entirely straight forward (what is?) but in simple terms, if you are in the same place in Spain for more than six months a year you could be deemed to have moved in and if you are there for more than six continuous months per year you will most certainly be deemed to have moved in. Having a house there as well as a boat will add greatly to the authorities' argument that you are now a Spanish resident.

Does the same problem occur in Portugal?

There was newes of a raid on yachts to pay some kind of taxa while back.As I mentioned in my cautionary tale in the Lounge they arwe not so easy going as a few years back.

>Does the same problem occur in Portugal?

Yes. It's an EU law but not many countries apply it and where they do it seems patchy.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Yes. The fact is that if you spend more than 183 days per calender year (some countries) per tax year (other countries) or in 365 days (yet others) you become tax resident in that country.

There is, however, no means of tracking this. So the authorities, if they suspect you spend a lot of time in their country, are perfectly entitled to assume you are a tax resdent unless you prove otherwise.

Tax residents have to meet local requirements - driving licences, car registration requirements, etc etc.

Note that the start of this thread is very old. There have been many more recent threads on this subject.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises