Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Spain - Customs - Help!

I totally agree with you, if questioned by anyone of authority here in Spain to show them any type of disrespect is a very big mistake. To argue with the Guardia or any other official is signing a warrant for them to 'get you'. Patience and respect is the way forward, although it is very frustrating and you have to go to a quiet place and let rip with all your frustrations, just don't do it to their faces. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wansworth is offline Registered User

Your lucky you only have one daughter!!!!Personally I think is ok to live in a country without all these controls and to travel about freely,but somewhere the traveller must be responsible to some country for the services offered by a civilized communityeitherby paying taxes or buy paying for private services.I chose to stay in Spain for a long period so Spain take care of my medical problems ,my sewage ,fresh water etc etc.Iam a resident with a plastic card saying so.Tourists are Spains biggest earners,but they dont stay around to be a burden,they come with agreements for recipricol medical care and anyway there not here long enough,they just spend foreign currancy ,thats good,but thats being a tourist not a resident!

We are residents here in Ibiza with the photo and thumb print to prove it. We pay all our taxes like good citizens, and also spend an awful lot of money in the local shops. I think you must have misunderstood what I was trying to say, or else I'm being a bit thick and not understanding your point. We intend to leave here and move to another country, when we decide where we will make the necessary contributions there.

If you are a residentyou are part of that community,pay your way and recieve the benifits.If you are a tourist you pay while you stay then go home.You andI are Residents,but the person who originated this looks like they came by sea as tourists like the place bought a house got the boat in a marina and still think their tourists,you cannot have it both ways,someone has to provide the services.You can flit about and not overstay the alotted time as a cruising yachtsperson as a tourist.In anther post you say you must not show disrespct to authorities,obviously not but you have your right and you should stand by them.Good luck with the voyage,when my youngest daugter grows up abit hopefully we can travel some more!

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    You can flit about and not overstay the alotted time as a cruising yachtsperson as a tourist...... but you have your right and you should stand by them.

[/ QUOTE ]This is the core of the discussion here; what is the 'alloted time' and what are the 'rights'? Nobody seems to be able to say for sure. The best we have is a lot of anecdotal information about peoples' past experiences. For all we know, laws and regulations were not being enforced, or levies were being made that were not due, or laws have been changed or are about to change. I think that the essence of original questioner was 'what are the rules?'.

I'm sure that most of us are perfectly prepared to accept the rules or just move on, but you can't wander around the world on a very expensive yacht without knowing what the law says, or you are liable to have it taxed, or worse, impounded. My yacht is more valuable than some houses and I take the security very seriously. If it becomes a cause for concern for us to winter in Spain then we will winter elsewhere. Shame, because we like it here and would come back.

Some where it has been mentioned 18O DAYS.Go to the commandancia de Marina and ask them!

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Some where it has been mentioned 18O DAYS.Go to the commandancia de Marina and ask them!

[/ QUOTE ]I would not have thought that the harbour master would necessarily be an expert on the importation of boats, taxation and issues of residency.

But yes, 180 days has often been mentioned though around half the time people say that it means 180 contiguous days (i.e. the clock resetting if you leave Spain for even a day) and the other half saying that it means over 180 days in any year. But if it is the latter, does this mean in the last 12 months, the last (or present) calendar year, the last (or present) fiscal year (after all, this is a tax issue), or what? You see, all these seemingly helpful comments tend to be contradictory and/or unclear. It is only when you actually try to USE the helpful information to plan your affairs that you discover you haven't got anything you can base your decisions on.

Ok I am going to La Coruņa on the 3rd of March and will do my best to get up to date info.

Anonymous Guest

I'd really appreciate that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ideally something like an official (e.g. customs, revenue, immigration) Spanish brochure or leaflet - in Spanish would be fine. What is not so useful is a statement (however unequivocal or from a trusted source) without some sort of supporting documentation that can be referred to later when discussing one's affairs with the Spanish authorities.

A question that I would like answered is what happens if one overstays the period - maybe the weather is bad, illness, mechanical problems, or so on. Could one suddenly be liable for tax on the whole value of the boat or be impounded without warning?

Many thanks for your offer of help; it really is appreciated.

Stop press: I phoned the Capitania Maritima today and as far as they know you can stay as long as you want in Spain.I asked them to double check this and will phone them tomorrow .I cannot get written back up till I go personally to see them.