Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Wansworth is offline Registered User

Default Re: Spain - Customs - Help!

The first thing you need is a nice new folder,on of those with elstic across the corners,everybody in spain has several,in it yuo keep all the papers.Secondly don t get confused,writing things down and dont buy the boat till you are 101% sure its ok. get everything down in WRITING !!!!

I'm following this with interest.

My parents have a temporary residence in Spain, and are discussing purchasing a boat to keep near by...... I am quite obviously encouraging this sensible behaviour, but am interested in what the tax position will be.... especially as one of the options is a UK purchase and then I'll take it out for them...

We have every paper we have ever needed here in Spain safely tucked away. Obviously we won't buy the boat if our solicitor advises us against it, although we hope this will not happen [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NAS.Your parents need to define their status.What is a temporary residence? Before you buy or they buy a boat chek out your legal situation,if they want a boat and are residents they will need spanish qualifications.I have been toldthis in galicia,but spain is different so check outthe situation first.

Mogy,

I was clear on the qualification bit.... he's a Yachtmaster Open Ocean and retired with lots of time on his hands, so would probably quite enjoy doing the Spanish qualification....

They however intend to retain British residency, with visits to Spain limited to 2 months max at a time..... but the boat would probably stay in Spain 12 months of the year...

Its more the registration and tax angles that I don't yet have my head around..... and by the sound of it, there's a great deal left to be understood by most if not all others!

A further complication is their house is in Catalonia, so probably an 'apply laws in anyway, but only anything that is different to the rest of Spain' approach!

There is no problem,go to the customes offices,its all there in their books,european law.I was told yesterday the boat can remain 6 months in Spain after that its on yer bike or transfer to Spanish Flag which would entail matriclation which is 12% value on a boat over 7.5 mtres.Plus inspection and classification ans a whole wad of paper!!!!.Check it out yourselves.If I get a boat it will be under 7.5 metres for which I havw the qualifications to sail it...... and the money to keepit!!!!!

So in other words, unless a boat in the UK is at least 12% cheaper than the Spanish equivalent, then its probably worth buying a boat in Spain that is already on a Spanish flag?

The imprssion I have is that boats are expensive in Spain,but if your buying with uk punds mybe more attractive.Personally I am considering buying a boat in the uk as there is more choiceand cheaper in my range ie upto 7.5 LOA.

Sorry didnt answer your question!Considering the paperwork etc I would make astudy of the market in Cataluņa before any conclusions are made.

Default Tax implications of boating in Spain

Somebody mentioned leaving the boat ownership with a UK resident, and then it could be used by a member of the family who actually was a Spanish resident. Technically the boat can only be used by the owner. If the Guardia were to stop and check on paperwork and the owner was not on board, they could regard the boat as being out on charter illegally and 'arrest ' it. Spanish residents like citizens are forbidden to drive non Spanish cars, and to have charge of non Spanish flagged boats. If the boat is coded for charter in Spain . ...no problem. But to code a boat is not cheap. All taxes have to be paid (matrx and IVA ). I am Mallorca based and live in a Marina. Different Guardia officers have different interpretations and i know people who have kept boats and ( UK reg ) for years with nothing being paid. They keep a low profile and don't give anybody any reason to feel the need to question them. The matriculation tax is the most annoying since it seems to go against EU tax law.