Default Volvo MD2020 saildrive - prop removal

Need to replace the sacrificial anode on my Volvo MD2020 saildrive. It's not immediately obvious how to get the prop (standard fixed 2 blade) off & the Volvo instruction book offers no useful clues. Rather than risk stripping a thread or forcing anything, can anyone tell me the best way to do it? Thanks...

Default Re: Volvo MD2020 saildrive - prop removal

if it's the standard 2 blade prop on the saildrive like this.

there is a cone at the end of the prop. In the centre of this there should be a cap head screw / bolt which you will need to undo with an allen key and remove . once this is removed the cone can be unscrewed. there should be a hole through the cone (just see it in the above picture) which you should be able to get a bar or screw driver in to get a bit of leverage and unscrew it anti clockwise. once that is off the prop will either fall off or you will need a prop puller to remove it. There is also a few washer behind so dont loose them the anode is held in place with either 3 or 2 phillips drive screws which will need removing.

If you need to change the oil in the saildrive there is a drain plug underneath. dont forget to open the dip stick in the engine compartment to let some air in other wise the oil won't come all the way out.

Exactly like mine - many thanks. The screw in the end is unyielding to my allen keys so far, will have to try to ease it!

Forgot to mention you may need some one to stop the prop turning while you undo the end cap. If you have a socket set with an allen key attachment this may be an easier way of removing it and getting a bit more levarage on it. rather than a standard allen key.

best of luck [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It has propobally got locktight on it ,will suddenly release.

when you change anode do not forget use loctight on anode screws! It is important as lot of us find screws released after one year.
    Branko

Use a decent quality allen key like Bondhus
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

I find a piece of tubing slipped over the end of the allen key helps to give more leverage.

Have also found it helpful to use Volvo waterproof grease on the threads of the screws holding the anode in place. Suprisingly they don't come undone; it might be that the grease allows them to be done up quite tight, but easily undone when required. Grease is also useful on the splines so the prop comes off with ease, and also on the cone threads and the locking bolt. I have done this for 6 years and everything remains secure for 7 months afloat.

I take the prop off every winter so that I can scrape the corrosion products off the anode and weigh it. I have read that the anode should be placed when down to 50% of new weight; it looks pretty moth-eaten by then!