Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • we need a new boat

6 66.67%
  • we need a new boat

3 33.33%
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Default Re: Life rafts in Northern Ireland

no, don't go long distance cruising with anyone else on board. Local to solent take family out, but there helicopter would be there in under 15 minutes if we were in the water, and that's summer time boating not winter.

Paul,

I think we've taken this as far as it can go, though I have had some fun in employing your tactic of relentlessly demanding answers to the same question.

You have given me the impression that you think that because you have a life raft then everything is Ok. You may or may not feel that. It doesn't really matter.

All I would say is that I believe that safety is about a lot more than equipment. It also includes training, practise, seamanship, the way you manage your boat, safety briefing for guests, MOB drill, maintenance procedures, CG66's, etc etc etc.

To my mind a life raft is the very, very last resort. All other safety matters are concerned with trying to make sure that you stay on your boat, and that it stays on the surface.

This isn't intended to be patronising but, if you don't have that RYA booklet, I would strongly recommend it. I've found it to be a useful bit of safety equipment.

Let's leave it at that.

edited comment........and we've broken 200! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and with your waterproof VHF (do you have an antenna on a natty hat to go with your drysuit ? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) you'll be able to effectively communicate with the emergency services until they get picked up by the chopper (or one of the 100's of other boats that would've seen it happen!)

duncan is offline Registered User

passengers? Brendan?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Default Re: Liferafts

[ QUOTE ]
    You, yourself said that you wouldn't go to sea without a liferaft .... so you must be certain that it will inflate correctly, stay inflated and you'll have suitable equipment onboard the liferaft to raise the emergency services.
    Your taking a risk - assuming the liferaft gas is still intact, it was packed correctly, has not gained a puncture since last service and your communication devices will work effectively. Of course, you minimise this risk by making sure the liferaft is packed with gear you specify, at or before the designated service intervals and by a competant service agent - but it doesn't guarentee that it will work, or that you will be able to operate it if the unthinkable happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I am not certain, it would be irrational to be certain. I agree there is no guarantee - so what is your point - that because I have a life raft I take risks? I would dread ever using one!!
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

[ QUOTE ]
    ...No, this is NOT absurd ... without safety measures in place it is human nature to be more cautious - as soon as you put safety measures in then it is "one less thing to worry about" and MAY mean that ppl push themselves or their equipment further than normal....

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the Clarkson answer to improving car safety and reducing accidents - take out the seatbelts, airbags, impact cages and put a 10" spike poking up from the centre of the steering wheel - makes you a very careful driver. Tongue in cheek but an element of truth.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

Ha! Got you! I've been in the water, and tried it
    Have a scour of the ribnet forums for a look.

With a decent handheld, you can transmit further than you can receive to a decent receiver by the way. Club boats have heard me on my handheld when I couldn't hear the response, and coastguard with big antennas can receive better than boat setups.

Oi .. I was backing you up ...!!! ok with a little joke about an antenna on a hat ... but still - got to be fun ain't it?

But by your posts you are suggesting that everyone should have a liferaft onboard because they can save lives. You don't seem to be able to accept that some of us choose NOT to have a liferaft as it is deemed unnessersary for activities undertaken.

Despite all this you keep on saying that your not willing to force your opinion on us ... yet you continue to do so...

I assume you don't want a Nanny State ..... as long as everyone agrees with you.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Must ask this question Fireball, do you carry a liferaft?

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast