Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • we need a new boat

6 66.67%
  • we need a new boat

3 33.33%
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

Default Re: \"I don\'t need a liferaft\"

The problem Paul, it's another sack of straw on camels back.

We are getting the boat ready to live on in the Med. Ok, for many she is small, too small to live on, but currently we are happy with the size. Maintenance and handling for the two of us is ideal. Not so wide as to be a problem like cats 10ft longer. No problems entering the canal systems as we are just under 14ft beam. I guess you see the picture.

But, she is getting loaded down, and another 25kg is quite a lot for an item we may or may not use, even in the event of the boat going over, most likely scenario see. She is supposed to be unsinkable, but even if one hull filled, she would probably flip. Once upside down, an unfortunately stable state for a catamaran, our safest refuge will be strapped to the bridge-deck. This years mod before we leave will be strong points underneath to strap to.

Carrying extra weight can also make a cat dangerous, you see they rely on their buoyancy. We are already to heavy in cruising condition, so additions of 25kg seats starts to hurt.

I do think any fast sports boat should carry a raft of some kind, if they can. How big are pilots rafts that go into ejector seats, is anything available commercially like this. The difference between hitting a log at 35kts and 6 kts is quite considerable.

I think that all makes a lot of sense. Some valuable points.

Its also an example of why we should not be told what to do - it must always be left up to the skipper.

As an aside:-
    My boat is currently being coded for 14 people. I have to have a 6 man and an 8 man life raft - 16 lifejackets, 3 black balls and two all round red lights!!

I also have to have a kedge anchor weighing 15 kg - that is large for a kedge - in fact too large to be chucking around as a kedge - I have applied for and agreed a variaton on that and am using a 20lb kedge. Everyone agreed this rule was silly but at least I was able to change it

They have also changed the rules on life raft inspections so now they are not annual but on the makers standard period for that raft etc, so rules are becoming more logical with time.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Thing is, you are in the same boat <pun> as a ferry and I am happy for ferries and the like to have their rafts inspected annually, especially as they are within reach of idiot passengers on the booze cruize.

Are you sure for your boat 15kg is too large, if you row out a 15kg anchor if you touch the putty would you think it big enough to pull her off, what does your boat weigh, she must be near 25 tons??? Even is she was 15t I think 15kg would be small.

How heavy is your bower anchor?

Anyhow this is all off topic.

I just wish they would make a small non auto inflate liferaft, With our dinghy pump and say two foot pumps, plus being scared as hell, I reckon we might get it inflated as quickly as a CO2 bottle. Yes I know that is rubbish, but there must be a way to make the mechanism lighter, somehow.

The bower anchor is 35kg. The boat is 32 tons.

A kedge, to be a kedge has to be manhandled, taken in the rib, hauled in etc. Unless you can reasonably handle it, it cannot serve as a kedge. I think 15kg is a bit much for that. There are problems handling a 20 pounder let alone a 33 pounder (15kg).

I also have a few flying anchors that are the perfect kedge for normal use but a bit small - in effect I have 3 kedge anchors!

If I was stuck and that lot did not work I would have to row out the 35 kg (76 pounds) bower anchor which could at least be lowered into the rib on the winch.

I also have powerful hydraulic stern and bow thrusters that are not time limited like electrical ones and they could be used to help get me off.

If I was really stuck I would just have to put the legs on and sit it out.

By the way I have found the perfect bag for a kedge anchor - a patio heater cover from B&Q costs less than a fiver and makes handling, stowing the kedge much easier.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526