Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • we need a new boat

6 66.67%
  • we need a new boat

3 33.33%
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do we need to carry life rafts

I must admit I was surprised when I looked sometime ago when I was checking out my safety equipment. I imagine that it's because there are bigger risks then sinking on cross channel jaunts..........risk assessment and all that. Cataclysmic sinkings are rare, so normally there would be time to get an inflatable out.

Default Re: Do we need to carry liferafts

and the sunglasses ... don't forget them - very important for looking cool when floating around in the middle of the channel! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

tcm is offline Registered User

Default \"I don\'t need a liferaft\"

Not quite sure how anyone could say they "don't need a liferaft" with such an airy guarantee. Bit silly? Essentially, you've decided to take the risk, save the cost, keep the space. No problem.

Default Re: \"I don\'t need a liferaft\"

flip, have you read the thread? OK, where do I put it. and no stupid answers about building a frame and mounting it above the boat or anything like that. Practical answer?

Default Re: Do we need to carry life rafts

There's a surprise!

In the Fastnet race far more lives were lost in life rafts and attempts to get into life rafts than from sinkings. Relatively few boats sank.

I have no idea how many boats sank mid channel last year, but I can only recall reports of one (a yacht which was struck by a ship). You'll never eliminate all risk; safety management is about minimising risk and to do that you need to look at what the biggest risks are. If you are more likely to be put at risk by (say) fire or engine failure then you concentrate resources on those areas.

But "not needing a bit of kit" and "Not having the space to put it" is 2 different things ... (not that I disagree with your not needing a liferaft!)

tcm is offline Registered User

Well, the softpack ones are the size of a chunky holdall. The thread didn't start all about you and your boat.

You drinking and just punchy tonite?

I said early on I don't have the space. the latter comment was a follow up. I sort of assume people follow threads and read all the posts, rather than picking on just the one. If everyone on these forums were queried about every little grammatical comment, we'd never get anywhere. Gludy tears whole threads apart to his amusement over one word in a ten thousand word post.

Nope- disagree.

My message on this thread has been simple - I have been misquoted a few times that is all.

My position on liferafts is that you either fit them or dont - I can appreciate the problems on a small boat. So I made the point that on boats of 30 foot plus.

The question of needing them for this journey or that journey is silly because you would not fit it and take it off.

I do not think there should be any compulsion to fit them.

I do think its up to the skipper.

Thats about it.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Re: crossing the channel without a liferaft on board. I do believe people regularly swim the channel. Will a pair of speedos and a jar of goose-grease suffice? Also, in the event of a rapid sinking, which should you put on first, the goosegrease or the speedos?

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast