Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What binoculars do you use?

Seconded on the Comapss marine ones. Cheap, well featured and acceptable optical quality for me. Around 80 quid from TCS Chandlery.

However, these were gifted to me, and I have used Fujica 7x50s I bought from ebay for 3 quid for the last 2 years, which are also very good optically, but of course a bit old fashioned without the seductive rubber coating soft feel of the modern ones.

Any views on the self focusing bins such as those offered by Plastimo for around 40 ?

jerryat is offline Registered User

Yep, agree! S'wot I've got (as well as a Tasco cheapy pair) and they're superb. Genuine lifetime guarantee too!

Robih is offline Registered User

Great advice from these boys. I've got their own brand 7*50 - they do what it says on the tin very well indeed.

http://www.monkoptics.co.uk/about_monk_optics.htm

the plastimo autofocus are excellent for the price optically but keep them away from any rain as they are not waterproof, 24.99 in the gael force catalogue p79

Oldhand is offline Registered User

Very pleased with our Fujinons, they are nice and light too.

I use the cheap 15 7x30s available from all sorts of different shops. always got 2 or 3 pairs on board. doesnt matter if they are dropped / fall in / get wet / are lost - they are disposible. the optics are quite good enough in my experience, and they have the great benefit that being light they do not shake / wobble anything like as much.

the "proper" bins stay in a locker if they are on board (I must have a look for them)

P>S> Aldi had some good ones on special offer recently. 12x32 about 15 and excellent for casual bird watching.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

I have a pair of Steiner Commanders (retail price 600) which those nice people at YM gave me as a prize. The optics are superb - they are called 'auto focus' which in reality means they have a huge depth of focus so you never need to adjust them once they're set for your eyes. On the down side, they are pretty massive to hold.

Prior to that I splashed out on a pair of 10 x 30 Canon image stabilisers. I found them very disappointing as they just couldn't cope with the movement of the boat at sea. I now keep them for bird watching for which they are superb. Another big disadvantage is that the activation button isn't recessed and the case is fabric so if you lay them on their backs or something sits on top of them in the locker, next time you take them out the batteries are flat.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

I have a pair of those (cost 25). Good backup to the old pair of Steiners on the boat. I can use them with my glasses on, and it is very handy that they are always focused. Auto-focus is a misnomer. They are just fixed focus, but reasonably sharp from about 50 yards away and beyond. At the price the optics are acceptable and they make a useful second pair.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

I have a pair recently bought from allgadgets...

They seem well built and the compass spins fluidly and is fairly well damped. The light to compass without using the illumination button is poor and needs bright light. Otherwise, the illumination button works fine.

The optics are better than my old "Swift Skipper MkII" that used to belong to my grandad many many years ago, and which this was bought to replace.

Steve