Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Red Diesal IMHO

Default Re: Red Diesal IMHO

it's only red diesel for leisure use that is at risk, the only thing you can argue is that the price of red diesel for farmers might go up a bit because less volume would be sold.
    No1_Moose

What is needed then, with the fear of fuel price going up is a boat design that uses 1/4 of the fuel of a conventional monohull/multihull, this way, fuel prices going up would be less of a problem.

Except you would burn loads of fuel building loads of new boats. I suspect they would also be radically different design and people wouldn't like a non conformist design for fear of resale e.t.c e.t.c. Face it, you don't buy a boat to make a point about your eco-consciousness do you!
    What we need is an effort to introduce bio fuel into the market, not for cost reasons but because we need to start reducing our dependency on conventional oil as much as possible.
    Even if red diesel was lost I don't think it would have nearly as huge impact as some people have predicted, yes it will have an impact but it won't be disastrous. Fuel is probably 4th on our list of annual boat expenditure. Mooring fees come first, followed by bits to keep the boat going, followed by gadgets and things, then fuel and then insurance.

Best to drop plastic teak from you product range really, it's oil based isn't it?
    No1_Moose

You should have read the article in yesterdays Daily Mail concerning our PM flying all the way to Aussie in a 777 aircraft with 71 passengers on board - just to talk about the environment and climate change.

"A round trip of 25,000 miles, and creating 250 tons of "greenhouse gas"."

regards,
    Philip

Yes it does need oil to be made. Wait till nearer Southampton boatshow, i'll show you a boat that's not radical, just a monohull lifted and put onto two hulls - watch this space, then we'll see what the industry has to offer.

hm, yes. I think this A380 idea from Airbus is a bit shortsighted. They are building an aircraft to take 700 passengers but how many flights have you been on that have been full? The 777 is very economical for what it is, it takes 70odd tons for an atlantic trip but the A380 is going to be buring erm, 150ish turns for the same flight. Yes, you can get more people on the a380 but I guess that on a standard flight the fuel burn per seat is going to be a lot more.
    Funny thing is that aircraft actually keep the earth a bit cooler by creating contrails. The latest biojetfuel idea has a lot of water in it so that might kill two birds with a stone of the singular sense. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry, went off track a bit there.
    No1_Moose

A380, think Chinese domestic flights...

Or an organised holiday of members of NuLabour's Strength Through Joy organsation visiting an approved destination.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Default china...big country....

.... but domestic routes are going to be demolished by high speed trains in the long term.
    No1_Moose

Default Re: Red Diesel

Any chance of an explanation as to why this theory does not apply to motor cars.The cost of road fuel has increased at a far greater rate yet more cars are being sold than ever and more peeps are employed doing stuff to cars than ever.?
    Could it be that the price of fuel caused more efficient cars to be built therefore cheaper to run and therefore cheaper to buy so more folks buy and the market expands.?

Default Re: Red Diesel

Not really. Lousy public transport and the long term policy that building and selling cars is somehow good for the economy.

That latter seems to have gone a bit runny...
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast