Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Red Diesal IMHO

Default Re: Red Diesal IMHO

Seems this threads going in the right direction now... Shame I've got no time to get my head working and reply... Damn shared PCs!

Jem
    What do I know?

but fuel costs on boats really is negligible in impact compared to say road transport. To sustain road transport, huge roads and motorways are built by enormous plant machinery. All the materials, plant and labour brought from hundreds of miles away in teams of dumpsters.

Then repaired every few years.

Materials and emissions to lay just a couple miles of motorway probably outstrips 100 years worth of all the leisure boating fuel consumption and emmissions in the UK in total.

Huge factories. Which have to be built at again huge environmental cost: land, material, moving the material there, producing those materials, and a labour force of thousands commuting there every day. The cars themselves need material transported and mined over huge distances, components manufactured with shipping costs of materials and parts in other factories, and the cars then delivered across huge distances, as well as all the spare parts for them. That's the simple version.

Once that infrastructure is in place, millions in UK alone drive tens of thousands of miles a year in their cars, then scrap them when they die. Some sitting for hours a day in stationary traffic.

One the other hand we build very few boats, need relatively little infrastructure, the roads are largely self repairing though a bit bumpy at times! and we only do a hundred or two hours a year with engines on on average, and a lot less for raggies (well some of them anyway). Unlike cars, boats don't tend to be scrapped. They get patched up re-upholstered, new engines put in , new electronics sometimes, etc.

The difference in impact is mind boggling.

Yes we should be thinking about these things, but they need to be put into perspective

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes we should be thinking about these things, but they need to be put into perspective

[/ QUOTE ]

as I said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    As with everything these days - it is all SEP ... or rather SOBP (Some Other Buggers Problem) - when, if we all did our (even minute) bit it could have a noticable affect.

[/ QUOTE ]

and no, I'm not telling you or anyone else who runs an engine (including me) to stop - but can you say "I've done a bit to help"

me - I keep breaking my outboard so I have to row to the mooring... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I still don't think that any proposed level of tax on fuel will have an effect on polution... as you say - there is probably so much waste in other areas that even if you remove all leisure boats from the UK there will be insignificant difference in polution levels - so any tax revenue is not "going to the environment" really ... is it?!

Well, I watched Fifth Gear on channel 5 and Honda have brought out another Hydrogen powered car - very environmentally friendly. The problem is, the cars still have to be made, and as above, the materials need to be shipped from all over the place and then the finished product has to be shipped and unless you use hydrogen powered vehicles to get them there, it kinda defeats the object of environmentally friendly - but on the other hand, Honda seem to be the only car manufacturer that are making any sort of decent progress in this area and are actually trying to make it econmical and viable for us (the public) to be able to buy these types of car or even replacement engines. All we need now are loads of Hydrogen plants so that we can fill up our cars. Why doesn't somepne in the Government take note of this, pull their fingers out of their asses and spend a few billion pounds on providing us with an economically viable solution that would actually work. I can imagine that with these types of engines you will still be able to get your supercars and off road vehicles to work and at no loss to performance. The little Honda did just over a ton, perfect for motorways and country roads - I'd rather my Taxes were spent on keeping me and my future family in a healthy condition, as well as everyone else.

Then ask the Government to Tax hydrogen!! See if they can do that then!!!

Nick

Default Re: Red Diesel IMHO

hm, hydrogen plants. You are going to need a whole load of electrickery from somewhere so best get campaigning in favour of some (lots) of nuclear power stations. Incidentally, BMW and Ford are doing a lot of work on Hydrogen cars. I've actually seen the Ford one, it sounds like the Star Trek Enterprise! Wvrrooommmm.

If somebody comes up with a Diesel/Electric hybrid car in the interim period it will be a winner, especially if it can run on biodiesel. The current (petrol) hybrid cars are rubbish because they are no more economical than a normal diesel and the CO2 emmisions in actually building the car are far greater than the emmisions produced in building a normal car.
    No1_Moose

Default Re: Red Diesel IMHO

What does everyone think of an Electric/Diesal hybrid on a Cat then?? 8 knots on electric engines on the rivers and enough pace and power to cross the channel?? 50-60hp!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456