Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird ****!

Default Bird ****!

I've just got back from Poole Harbour where my boat is on swing moorings..
    It was lovely and clean when it arrived, but the birds have got to it.
    I'm sure this is an old chestnut, so I apologise in advance, but what advice do you people have to possibly prevent it, and then just to clean it.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Bird ****!

CD s on strong twine seem to deter them, even better if they rattle together. Watch out for the string/twine/thin rope fraying and make sure the cds don't hit your coachroof, they can mark it especially in strong wind when they flap about like mad.

Try a search (though I'll leave the choice of words to you!) since there have been a few posts and lots of suggestions. Val Doonican seems to be the most effective.

Stuffed Owl.

Service with a snarl.

The only owl I've seen on a boat (artificial not stuffed) had birds sitting on it and crapping all over it!

jfm is offline Registered User

Some kind of ultrasonic sound. Lymington marina has big loudspeakers pumping out this stuff and we never ever get bird ****, all year long. (Dont get many dogs either, those that you do see seem to be doing their nut....)

syd is offline Registered User

One of the fellas in our club has a plastic owl stuck on the top of his boat, he reckons its the dogs goolies for scaring birds.
    I use Starbrite Marine Teflon Polish, does'nt stop the **** but its a dam sight easier to remove, just wipes off.
    Syd

I can resist anything, except temptation.

Hi I had same problem it dont work 100% but the owl is the best solution
    Alan

Left our boat on the mooring 2 winters and the fordeck was covered with fish and mollusc remnants and loads of c**p. Bought 1 plastic owl and now 2 winters and it's almost clean. Owl investment strongly recommended.

BTW are birds good shots from on high? Had a black car and it was always getting covered now a light one and v much better. On the boat, we get more "hits" on the brownish flybridge cover than all of the whiteish decks. Do they aim for earth/dirt ie dark colours?

Anthony

Drape an old fishing net over the boat, then they dont have a firm perch to er.. perch on. Failing that a shotgun can be quiet effective!!!