Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Breathing new life into old harbours (piccies!)

Whether you agree with this or not is a matter of debate, but Porthmadog has just undergone its first face lift in 200 years - and much for the better in my opinion.

Porthmadog started out life as a commercial harbour loading Welsh slate for export to the world and after an illustrious past, it fell into disrepair as the slate industry dwindled and dredging became uneconomic. So lets not get sentimental here, Porthmadog is not a "natural harbour" as some claim (we had one dissenter claiming the destruction of a natural harbour??) it is a man made harbour whose usage changed to leisure 50 years ago. So here is the old place before work started

You can see the RSJ piles driven into the harbour floor and attached to the walls (how much trouble did we have with the authorities over this???). And the first walk way goes in.

A couple of weeks later and look what we have

And then the residents move in...interesting point here is that quite a few of the traditional trots mooring guys didn't sign up to join the scheme - but when they saw the finished article, 3 of them bought in there and then. Quite a bustling little harbour n'est pa?

And here is the access, which neatly covers up some horrendously dangerous old slate steps.

And of course, no Dave_Snelson slide show would be complete with CI appearing on her new mooring.

So there ya have it. It took 30 years to get the authorities to say yes, just over one month to build it (well done Intermarine of S'oton) and it cost much less than the price of a 3 bed semi in the North of England. There is some some work to be done (lights, leccy & water) and CI will probably move to the deep water section opposite the fingers for security reasons. But it is already a great harbour community and I enjoy being a member of a yacht club that welcomes Mobos. We have 3 visitor moorings for anyone coming up this way...

Default Re: Breathing new life into old harbours (piccies!)

Fascinating, Dave. You may remember from a previous post, that I have friends who used to live at Minfford. I always thought that there was potential at Porthmadog and I'm delighted to see what's been done.

Pity about the manky old Windy spoiling the view. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

I'm very old fashioned so this is still quite pretty:

Most of the rest of the pix I could Google were very train related:-)

Local library will probably have a copy of Immortal Sails, give you an idea of how its all changed.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

I agree - and I do have an A4 copy of a very old picture of Porthmadog which looks like your piccy. The trouble with slate is it is probably the best roofing material in the world, and once used it lasts nearly for ever. So it was a self killing business really [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Is it just the picture or is there a big gap between the walkway and the edges of the pontoon, just where you could drop or kick things down through... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

And once again I have to laugh out loud [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I do remember you saying about your friends at Minfordd and perhaps you should draw their attention to the piccies and see what they think?

wakeup is offline Registered User

It looks excellent, well done. I wish more old harbours around Wales will follow your lead.

There is a 4 inch gap between the edges that have the cleats on them and the walkway teak planking. But that gap is the services channel that will be enclosed once the water & leccy are installed.

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a 4 inch gap between the edges that have the cleats on them and the walkway teak planking. But that gap is the services channel that will be enclosed once the water & leccy are installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I wondered about that! That's where the aluminium cover plate will most likely go so. Well done and I hope Beaumaris gets their permission soon too.

mikef is offline Registered User

Excellent. My own view is that marina developments increase the economic activity in the area not least because they attract tourists to a harbour to look at boats and boating activity. Was this used as an argument for the development or is this marina just viewed as a local amenity?
    Will there be visitors moorings as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast