Phill is offline Registered User

Default Mariner 3.3 oil mix?

13 years old and just got it out after 10 years hibernation.
    Spoke to a couple of dealers but conflicting advice.
    Anyone know the ratio? Thought my memory was better than this!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Thanks
    Phill.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye

Talbot is offline Registered User

Default Re: Mariner 3.3 oil mix?

The tohatsu 3.5 is 50:1 (IIRC same engine)
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

I thought it was 50-1 run in period
    100-1 after that
    Thats what I do with my mercury 2.5 and its not blown up yet.
    Ian

The original manual I got with my Merc 3.3 said 50:1, but then there was a sticker on the side saying "100:1", probably to reduce emissions.

I ran with 50:1 for ages, and it seemed to work fine, although the plug would get a bit oily if I trundled around at idle for any length of time. I would run with 50:1 if it's being worked hard, and 100:1 if it isn't...

dv.

Spose we could use 75-1 and split the difference [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Paramount is correct oil. 100-1 is ok. Make sure you use "premix" not the same properties as"injection" oil. Use "Rock Oil" myself cos it suits the moped and my Trials bike and my Lad,s old Motocross bike! Maybe cheaper to buy from a bike shop than a swindlerey, mind you how do you use in a season? Use a synthetic or semi synthetic if you want to run on 100-1, less chace of the old oily plug syndrome and nicer running at low revs. Problem with most outboards we don,t use them often enough in most cases and yer average trip is maybe5-10 mins .Although someone out there is going to blow that theory into the weeds (Feel a thread coming on)! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

andy_wilson is offline Registered User

Default Rock oil...

Is that designed for air cooled engines then? If so, you will find that TCW III will keep an outboard running smoother / longer with less carbon due to the lower expected running temperature.

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Default Re: Rock oil...

"Rock Oil" are blenders based in Warrington. They produce a huge range of lubes for all kinds of industries and have a decent slice of the UK motorcycle market. Plus they bottle and blend for some of the "well known" names in the marine industry. Their "own brand" products IMHO are on a par with the rest of em. I agree with the TCW III point. I buy a 5ltr tub of outboard pre mix mainly for the outboard obviously! Cos I,m a tight fisted Old Welsh Git I stick it in the Trials bike as well, which is predominatley air cooled. But the way I ride or fall off it can be more often or not "water cooled" in some Welsh stream or bog! The moped does 3 miles a week if it,s used so that,s no big deal and my lad pinches whats left cos he,s a tight fisted Young Welsh Git. That doesn,t matter much any way cos he falls off more than I do! TCW III, a correct type of lube, ie premix or inject that,s the way forward. I think the populace particularly the Most Knowlegable Forumites, have brightened up nowadays from the practice of bunging the lawnmower oil in everything 2cycle. Thing is it,s more important to have the little outboard running tickety boo than the motor bikes cos if it goes wrong for me in the Menai Sraits I could be heading for Caernafon when I wan,t to go to Beaumaris before you can say"Phut Phut Splutter"! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]