Default Lofrans Progress 1 windlass seized.

The clutch on my windlass is seized and I can't undo the central nut. I've bent a winch handle in the attempt and today I took a compressor and impact wrench down to the yard but still couldn't shift it. Any more ideas for getting the thing apart?

I have also tried to split the motor from the head to take it home and work on it on the bench but the shaft is also stuck. Right now it looks as though I'll have to cut the deck to take it out if it breaks down. As it stands I can raise the anchor but can't use the warping drum.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Talbot is offline Registered User

Default Re: Lofrans Progress 1 windlass seized.

Have you tried heat?
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

Can't get anywhere near the shaft to heat it, and there are rubber seals that would be wrecked if heated: if I still couldn't get it apart, water could get in and wreck it.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

I would still try to heat it, not burn it. Repeated application of moderate heat will loosen things up without burning the rubber seals. Use a hot air gun and WD40. Alternate heating and cooling, just try to get those parts moving
    And are you certain it has right hand thread? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

and keep smiling!
    Theo.

boatbuilder is offline Registered User

Can you get some hardwood wedges between the motor and the gearbox. It would destroy the gaskets but I presume you can get new ones. I dont think heat will work as it is a huge heatsink.