Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re Raft up and damn them!

There is much to be said for our Continental neighbours attitudes where one is expected to raft alongside. However there is a tendency for boats to raft alongside another boat when they would be quite capable of going alongside either a wall or pontoon. This has the effect of restricting mooring places for larger boats and I for one am happy to put my boat alongside a smaller boat. Boats sit in water and their weight is carried by this wonderful substance, not by the boat inside them unless its blowing a hefty beam-on wind.

As for children, they are wonderful and ALL of us should encourage them and be encouraged by their presence on/in boats and on the water. This is where they learn and if you feel that your standards are not being adhered to, then a gentle word as they cross your deck will be effective. However I have NEVER kicked a kid out of my cockpit as they cross my deck but have many times stopped adults and redirected them forward. Perhaps they should have started sailing earlier with their parents and learned some basics.

kingfisher is offline Registered User

Default Equal rights=equal obligations

Why do we have to put up with your kids ? They are by definition yours, not ours.

People with small dogs give me the same look when I ask them if their dog is going to howl (whimper) all night, just like last night. This look of "Intolerant man, it is natural for a dog to keep the marina up all night".

Don't expect us to accept crying babies at five am, just because that's what babies do.

If your kids are noisy, than it's your responsability, just as it is my responsability as a skipper to keep my crew quiet when they return from the bar at 0200.

Just as it is my responsability to tie my running rigging to the mast, to prevent it from tinging against the mast all night.

Kids do not have the right to make noise. Neither do dogs. Neither do nightly crew parties.

I'm just as tolerant towards kids as towards others. I'm treating them as equals, no more no less.

Obi-Wan
    http://sirocco31.tripod.com
    Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox
    http://sirocco31.tripod.com
    http://www.certif.be

claymore is offline Registered User

Default Re: Mooring buoy and rafting up etiquette

Perhaps 'right'is rather a strong term - I think that people are entirely justified in saying no to enormous heavy boats coming outside them, particularly if theirs is a wooden boat, varnished hull etc.
    Sometimes - as Vyv pointed out, in places like Portpatrick and Ramsey you just have to get in where you can and that sometimes means being outside smaller boats - which is a sod in Ramsey as it dries.
    Regards
    JohnS

Sans Signature

Some peoples views are ridiculous and very wrong/antisocial, but they may think the same way about our views/politics/beliefs, debate isn't that the way. Same way as one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, get the point, I hope so, I'm not very good with words and my spelling is atrocious! But I do think, IMHO thats it's time to leave this alone and get back to the original query.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Location : Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up from Blaenplwyf

I rafted alongside a Swedish boat near Oban last summer, having been directed there by the berthing master. Being polite, I asked the occupant whether we could walk across his boat to the shore. Imagine my suprise when he said no. We had to use our dinghy for the 3 metres between our boat and the land, much to the amusement of everyone else nearby.

My ultimate dream - sailing a MacDuff26 at 16 knots

Default Re: Re Raft up and damn them!

Sinbad
    Are you right there about water supporting all the weight of boats? - I'm thinking of the sideways pressure exerted by a raft of say 6 boats on the inside one - particularly if they have (as they should have) shore lines. I'm sure there must be a fair bit of pressure there - particularly as you point out if that is added to by a beam wind.
    regards
    JohnS

Sans Signature

Now that is an antisocial pillock!

I think that was on Kerrera on the wide pontoon on the right (facing the island) Early August/LAte July and I think I was watching - mouth wide open in amazement!
    There was a german boat in there as well I think who also had a problem with people alongside.
    I see they've dumped the plan for a pontoon in Oban
    Regards
    JohnS

Sans Signature

Default Re: Equal rights=equal obligations

That has got to be the best reply I have seen on this matter. I wish I'd said that. Thankyou for putting it all in a nutshell.
    Colin.

Hmm
    Time for a line on the Swiss now with their nuclear bunkers, acts of betrayal 39 - 45, and Heidi?
    Maybe I've done enough damage for 1 post!
    Perhaps not!!
    js

Sans Signature

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast