Default volvo 5.7dp performance issues

Hi All.First posting,
    I have a 1993 Crownline 250cr and was wandering if anybody with the same engine setup as me could give me some idea of the performance. The reason I ask is mine takes forever to plane maybe 50 seconds,opening the throttle it just seems to create a lot of wash and picks up ever so slow.WOT on the rev counter shows 3700 speed 37,having said that I think I may have problem with tacho.As far as I can tell I dont have any probs with engine,i am more inclined to go with the wrong props fitted,The current props are B5 can anyone give me a rough idea of what props i should have and what sort of performance i should expect,the motor is 260hp

Default Re: volvo 5.7dp performance issues

Hi Cortez - and welcome to this forum.

I am not sure that the props are wrong. Afterall, why would someone change them (unless they were damaged) because the boat does come with correct props fitted.

If you really suspect the props, then call http://www.steeldevelopments.co.uk and ask them. They are really helpful and will give you the right info - and sell you the right props if needs be.

Have you had the engine professionally serviced and are you sure its delivering its best performance? These motors should run at 4400 WOT (or possibly 4800).

The engine and drive have been serviced,and you are right wot should be 4400 to 4800. This is what leads me to think it may be overpropped. I am only guessing about the current props going from the paperwork i have.

My old 5.0SP would take a while to get up unless I had the leg right in and the tabs down a bit just to lift the stern. Once she was up, the tabs were off. 4400-4800 rpm WOT is correct. Also consider how the boat is loaded, have you got a lot of gear stowed aft or carrying a dinghy on snap davits? All of these will hold you back.

Does the RPM rise when you are up n the plane or is 3700 your top speed?

Is anything fouling the linkage on the throttle thats stopping it from opening fully?

Just a few thoughts for what they are worth.

Cheers

JH

Just another thought, does the venturi open fully when the throttles are open fully? If it does, then you need to put a call into Steel Dev.

neale is offline Registered User

Is the boat left in the water? If it is then have you checked that your bum is clean?

After just three months on the River Crouch I was unable to get above 11 knots and it was all down to fouling.

Had a Fourwinns 268 with same engine. Its a bit heavier than yours but was easily fully on the plane in about 30 secs. Flat out and trimmed up it pulled 4400rpm and 40knots new but this dropped to about 37k as the other half put more shoes on board!

New props will cost you quite a lot so try and find a dealer who will let you try a few sets first.
    Mark