Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Anonymous Guest

Default Anchor lights - risks of not showing correct lights

Out here along the southern Spanish Med coast and in Ibiza, I have noticed that fewer than 20% of boats have an anchor light when at anchor (as opposed to being on a mooring buoy). Several people of different nationalities have said that it is no longer the custom to show a light when anchored in an anchorage. That's news to me but in any case I consider it to be a dangerous practice.

Quite aside from the obvious risk of being hit by another vessel, who would be deemed responsible if someone hit a boat at anchor, that was not showing the correct lights?

I rather suspect that if you don't carry the correct lights - i.e. the designated power and visibility - then you might be liable for all the costs should another vessel hit you. Would your insurer pay out if it was shown (which it would be) that you were lying to anchor without the correct lights?

Something to bear in mind when substituting LED arrays and other means of lighting in preference to whatever the boat builder installed.

Have others come across this attitude? Most people in the UK and Channel seem to be quite good about lighting-up at anchor, or is that changing too? Plenty of yachts cross the Channel with nav lights off until they see another boat (duh!!) but at least they seem to burn an oil lamp at anchor, if nothing else.

Stemar is offline Registered User

Default Re: Anchor lights - risks of not showing correct lights

nav lights off until they see another boat

Could be interesting if two of them meet on a dark night...
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Technically, boats under 20m don't require an anchor light if in a designated anchorage, but I agree it is risky. I have always used an anchor light even in a designated anchorage because I want boats coming into the anchorage at night to see me. From an insurance point of view, however, you would be in the clear, I suspect. Other than a designated anchorage, however, you must show an anchor light with 2nm visability.
    An anchor light in the foretriangle is a better bet than a masthead light because a masthead light can get lost in stars and be less obvious to boats manoeuvering at close quarters.

Anonymous Guest

Not according to the version of Rule 30 I am looking at...

Rule 30 (e) A vessel of less than 7 metres in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

In other words, the exemption is for vessels under 7m (not 20m) and there is NO exemption for being in an anchorage - indeed, in an anchorage it is specifically required for vessels of all sizes. It seems that there is considerable misunderstanding about this...who is correct?

I don't have the full regs in front of me, but I believe that a vessel under 7m when at anchor not in a narrow channel, fairway etc, is exempt, and a vessel under 20m in a designated anchorage, or "special anchorage area", is exempt. This was the case when I was cruising in the USA and Caribbean. I'm sure it is an International regulation. I expect someone will come in and correct me if not.

Anonymous Guest

This is a Canadian website and they publish the fulll colregs...

http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/rule28.htm#Rule30

I can't see the part you are referring to...looks to me as though all vessels must display the proscribed light at night in an anchorage, regardless of size.

Look at http://www.triton-marine.co.uk/Colreg.html for guidance.

I would imagine not having an anchor light when at anchor anywhere during dark hours would give an insurance company the excuse it needs for not paying out for any claims.

regards

Krusty is offline Registered User

Some years ago I was anchored in Loch Moidart, west Scotland: it has a tricky rock-bound entrance, shallow outer loch and a tortuous entry to the inner loch. At dusk I was about to hang up our riding light as a chap in a small boat motored close by. He warned of the absolute necessity of showing an anchor light: He told me that a year before, another yacht was anchored on the same spot without a light, and had been run down in the dark by a small trawler... '' What! fishing inside here, at night?!'' ...''Yep, sank the yacht; total loss; And he had to pay for the damage to the trawler!''
    On one arrival at Village Bay, St Kilda, on a very dark night, and creeping in right on the leading lights, my bowman shouted that we had a yacht dead ahead. He was anchored bang on the line, unlit!
    There is evidently no limit to the 'Oh, it will be alright here without a light' idiocy!

VicS is offline Registered User

Rule 30 paragraph e as far as the under 7ms are concerned perhaps.

Anonymous Guest

I posted Rule 30 e earlier - it exempts the under 7m class unless they are in an anchorage and other designated places. So under 7ms require an anchor light when at anchor in an anchorage.

Sadly rule 30 e has two negatives which is difficult for some to understand. This is not something that should not be changed for clarity [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]