Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Default Re: Anchor lights - risks of not showing correct lights

ho hum. Bright light or dim light, neither will stand out as well in a sky full of light pollution as they would against a sky with much less light pollution

Lots of light pollution here right now cannot see any stars at all. Which reminds me perhaps you'd better get off to bed [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

John
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

oh no, not letting up on this one [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As the map shows, you have very little light pollution in NZ, so a few miles down the coast from your medium sized cities you have very little light pollution of the skies. In the southern UK, light pollution is high, so even away from cities, the effect still has a major effect.

PS, found the image we discussed. pm me your email, I know I've got it but hidden in thousands of addresses in outlook

Was referring to the fact that it is daytime here at mo so very light polluted [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Have PM'd email address - many thanks for that Brendan..

Regards

John
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

well never can tell with antipodean forumites if they've actually taken on board the info or not

Email sent. Very limited selection. Will have to put them all up on a webpage for easier access. Most of them under 2 years old!

[ QUOTE ]
    Then there are the LED things and they are very poor. Frankly, the LED and solar ones are not much better than nothing at all though give them their due...80% don't show anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite sure to what you refer to when you say "LED things" but there are special LED lights can be as bright at normal bulbs. I have tested them and they can be seen for over two miles, and have the advantage of using small amps, and lifetime is in 1000's of hours (20+).

Anonymous Guest

The reason I said 'LED things' is because LEDs are almost invariably (though not always) packed in a housing that is a directional lens. Many LEDs are required together as an array to reach the required power and the result is usually a directional beam. For an anchor light you need an all-round beam so the arrangement needs to be more complicated - i.e. a 'thing' as opposed to just a bulb.

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason I said 'LED things' is because LEDs are almost invariably (though not always) packed in a housing that is a directional lens. Many LEDs are required together as an array to reach the required power and the result is usually a directional beam. For an anchor light you need an all-round beam so the arrangement needs to be more complicated - i.e. a 'thing' as opposed to just a bulb.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some very powerful LED's around with as you say a direction beam. Ours have a beam width of 40 degrees.

You are right in saying they come in arrays to cover the required vectors, and a lens is part of the light.

Anyway, the things as you say are good alternatives to conventional bulbs, though do cost more but with the adantages as said in previous mail

Regards

Anonymous Guest

I don't know your company's products so can't comment in particular though in general LEDs will be the future (medium term, for a decade or two) I am sure, and there is no technical reason why an excellent LED anchor light could not be made at a price. But there are some lousy LED anchor lights hanging on peoples' boats. I say 'LED' - this is not based on inspection, but on the colour and low intensity.