Default Diesel tank lid seals

I've just started opening my keel diesel tanks to empty, clean and debug. Steel boat, steel keel, steel tanklids. Having anticipated finding nitrile joints under the lids, I'm instead faced with a load of sealing compound of some sort which is making the lids a right bu**er to prise off. The sealant is set into a soft rubbery consistency and is the colour of red Hermetite. Anyone know what it might be? It's proving incredibly difficult to clean it all off in order to use a gasket next time so may have to resort to using the same stuff again, if someone can identify it. Thanks for any suggestions.
    The sign on my cabin door says 'Not enough bucks stop here'

VicS is offline Registered User

Default Re: Diesel tank lid seals

If it is red Hermetite meths should clean it off
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Default Re: Diesel tank lid seals

It isn't Hermetite, I just used that reference to describe the colour. It is a sealant that has been applied by mastic gun. It is not as hard as cured Sikaflex, more a soft rubbery finish like silicon mastics. It is obviously diesel-proof, but I have never seen a sealant that colour and was hoping some forumite could identify it from the description.
    Surely the gang aren't stumped? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    The sign on my cabin door says 'Not enough bucks stop here'