Default Ventilator/Extractor fan

we've got a normal "pancake" Ventalite thingy above our heads compartment. We'd like to fit some form of extraction in there; I've got a nagging feeling that I've seen a combination flattish vent/extract unit somewhere.

Any recommendations?

thanks
    The Artist Formerly Known As Stargazer.

Now a member of the OPYC & a forum lurker

Default Re: Ventilator/Extractor fan

Do you mean a UFO vent? I think some are solar powered!

VicS is offline Registered User

There is, or at least was, a solar fan kit to fit the Tannoy Ventilite and similar ventilators but solar powered ventilators did not get particularly favourable response when discussed on here some while back. I know the Ventilite and I wonder if it would be possible to fit a small 12 volt fan in one. There are a variety of such fans availble from electronics component suppliers eg Maplin or of course from old computers!
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Attach the fan from an old computer power supply underneath the vent. Very low power consumption, very effective, very cheap.

GrahamC is offline Registered User

One thing I discovered is the insect screen within the vent can be come clogged up with dust that turns grren and grows algae thus stopping any ventilation whatsoever. Worth
    taking them apart and cleaning the interior
    GrahamC
    Life is not a dress rehersal, go for it now.

Talbot is offline Registered User

those solar vents have a habit of breaking the day after the warranty has elapsed. Fit a computer fan in there instead and the current draw will be minor, but the ventilation effect will be much better.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

Thanks folks

we'll take Graham's tip and check/clean the vents. Meanwhile I feel a scavenging trip around the computer room at work comimg on.....
    The Artist Formerly Known As Stargazer.

Now a member of the OPYC & a forum lurker

there seem to be 'expensive' and 'cheap(er)' solar powered vents. Anybody know if the more pricy ones are better? The concept (no wires, looks better, permanent) looks too good to ignore if they actually work.

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

You need lots of air movement in enclosed toilets, I doubt a computer fan will do much at all.

The best system I ever saw was an in-line fan installed in the dan-buoy tube that was extended from the stern to the toiled (located to port near the companionway)

Another had an in-line fan that vented to the anchor locker, not as good as the dan-buoy tube but a lot better than the fixed vent on deck.

Look for a high volume air flow or you may be wasting time and effort.

Avagoodweekend......
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

pvb is offline Registered User

Default OK, I\'ll own up...

[ QUOTE ]
    You need lots of air movement in enclosed toilets, I doubt a computer fan will do much at all.

[/ QUOTE ] I came to the same conclusion. I fitted a bilge blower in the heads cupboard, venting via a duct to the chain locker. It's controlled by a push-button connected to an electronic timer which lets it run for about 5 minutes and then switches it off. Works a treat!