Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Replacing an Volvo MD11 with Beta, Nanni, Vetus, Sole .. Needs advice

On the last week of our vacation or old Volvo-Penta MD11 totally gave up. Water in the cylinder and a broken head made us decide to replace it. (Having had about 10 different engine problems in the last five years makes this an even simpler decision)
    - The question is; with what should we replace it ???

The most important criteria for us (besides the price!) is the ability to directly fit to the existing 120S Saildrive. We want to make the replacement job ourselves.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    "The worst day of sailing is better than best day at the office"

Default Re: Replacing an Volvo MD11 with Beta, Nanni, Vetus, Sole .. Needs advice

Hi, I have just replaced my volvo md2b with a beta 1005. The biggest issue I have found is allignment. Its had work but should be easier with a sail drive as the shaft allignment is not so critical.

The other issue is the weight of the engines. I found that the best way to remove and install was to hire a hiab as it made the job easy. The original plan was 4 big blokes but we only managed to get the old engine from the well to coach hose floor.

The beta is a great engine its quite and vibration free you will see big difference from the volvo..

maxi is offline Registered User

Default Re: Replacing an Volvo MD11 with Beta, Nanni, Vetus, Sole .. Needs advice

Replaced my MD11C with a Kubota D1005, old engine out and new installed in two days -single handed. Fore & aft adjustment of engine mounts required, plus a larger diameter seawater inlet, were the only adjustments to be made.

No regrets whatsoever.

Pye_End is offline Registered User

Also check to see whether you can easily get to the parts of the engine which need good access - eg oil filter etc. Found on re-engineering mine the correct engine became obvious fairly quickly.

Go for the BETA engine - I've just re-engined my boat with a Beta - but shaft drive not Saildrive. Beta even made special feet for my installation so I didn't have to make new engine beds. Go to the Southampton Boat show and see what deal you can get. Nanni incidently is the same base engine as Beta - both based on KUBOTA. Also look at VETUS, Mitsubishi based and of course the latest Volvo.
    Check carefully access points for servicing as they do differ on different makes. For example Vetus don't have a hand pump for oil changes whereas Beta does..... Also Vetus raw water pump is at the side of the engine whereas Beta is at the front.
    dickh
    I'd rather be sailing... :-) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We replaced our MD2B with a Beta 1005. The engine bed needed a little adjustment but otherwise it was fine. The engine is very good and Beta very helpful. And most things you need access to are at the front of the engine, unlike the MD2B. Would have to be dragged kicking and scraming back to a Volvo.

Another vote for Beta, their pre and post sales was/ has been very good. Our installation has now done about 500 hours in 18 months and is still quiet, leak free and easy to start unlike the Thorneycroft it replaced!

This is on my list to do for this winter (or next ... as my MD11 hasn't quite given up the ghost yet).

I've spoken to Beta - and they say they can match it to our 110S sail drive and provide mounts to fit the existing engine bay.

Yet to do it - but all the research I've done to date suggests thats the way to go.

Do let us know how you get on !

Hi
    Lots of answers from the community, thanks to all.

It seems that there's quite a few, who is in favor of the Beta, could it be that is converted in Brittain, and the forum has a majority of brittish readers [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Being swedish, I'm not that in favor of Volvo-Penta, would cost me an arm and a leg... But you can't argue, Penta has a huge spare parts network all over the world.
    - What about Beta, does anyone know if it is hard to get spare parts in Sweden?
    "The worst day of sailing is better than best day at the office"

Rowana is offline Two steps lower than the ships' cat

Swedish agents here -

Nordic Gensets & Motors AB
    Kungsberga 8
    SE-17997 Färentuna
    Stockholm
    Sweden Tel: 00 46 8560 43549
    Fax: 00 46 8564 30097
    Email: info@steyr-motors.se

When I bought Rowana last year, she had beenfitted with a new Beta 13.5hp engine in 2000. I think it's a lovely little engine.

Good luck
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain