Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Supporting Diesel friendly boats - or not

I think it's pointless, boats are never going to be "eco-friendly". A 45ft mobo now is burning similar amounts of fuel per mile to a shorthaul aircraft. Having said that boat pollution is so insignificant in the scheme of things that unless people get very tetchy about the price of fuel there isn't going to be a drive to pursue efficiency over style, comfort, safety etc.

Oh, I think you're trying to plug motorcats agan but hey ho.
    No1_Moose

Salisbury, UK Boat going to be at Poole hopefully

Guys,
    You only have to look at commercial fishing charter skippers to see what is the most economical solution. They need space, seakeeping and economy, what do they buy diesel powered Chetah cats etc. So if you want to use a boat at sea instead of pose on it in a marina, have to watch the pennies re running cost and have the space to do what you want then a Cat is the way forward.
    I would love to own a cat and if more of us bought them then market share would go up and hopefully prices would come down or at least there would be more available second hand!

For a lot of people the berthing costs far outweigh the diesel costs. Given that most cats incur a 50% increase in berthing costs it's not as cut and dry as it sounds.

Charter fishing skippers need a lot of room to pack as many fishermen in as possible which is the primary reason why they use cats.

As I said in another post:

Sorry, but I still think small motorised cats are as ugly as sin, about as functional as the dome, and as stylish as Mr Bean's cloths. I couldn't care less about the fuel savings if I had to boat with a paper bag over my head for fear of being recognised, not to mention the extra cost of ownership (eg high berthage and unusually expensive lift outs, two hulls to antifoul, etc). It's a no brainer!
    Ocean Froggie

Actually cost of ownership is small. Hardly any antifoul as hardly anything in the water. not excessivelly beamy so no extra mooring charges. No added lift out charges. Try www.adventurebaypowercats.com/pacificharmony.htm for a quality large powercat. Smaller good looking designs are possible.

Getting a bit fed up with all this advertising on this forum these days........

I agree with you on this. It does annoy me that every post is about a monohull. Some users even promote there boat in their user names. Blatant advertising of monos everywhere in every post. Shameful isnt it.

[ QUOTE ]
    Charter fishing skippers need a lot of room to pack as many fishermen in as possible which is the primary reason why they use cats

[/ QUOTE ]

you won't find them moored in marinas very often either - Brighton is an exception but Weymouth Poole etc have their own comercial docks (and terms).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12