Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Icom VHF - hiccup??

We have an Icom IC-M601 installed. Coming up to three years old.
    Moored in Haslar for a few nights last month and the radio develops a permenant hiss, like the squelch control just isnt working. But on receiving a strong incoming signal the hiss goes but returns at the end of the transmission.
    Tried switching on and off a few times (like with the PC!!!) disconnecting the command mike (remote) disconnecting shore power, checked aerial connections etc etc. A hand held Icom was working just fine through all this so I guess it has to be something about the fixed installation. It was like that for two days.
    When we left to run up to Port Solent, all back to normal, no hiss and squelch working as normal. Hiss never came back!!
    It did exactly the same overnight in Moody's a few years ago. When we went down river all went back to normal...... any bright ideas????

Default Re: Icom VHF - hiccup??

What was the state of charge of the battery? I've had this happen due to battery getting low, as soon as I started the engine and put some charge back into the battery all was well.

Regards,
    Brian

I've had a similar intermittant problem the IC-503 and the remote command mike. Once I plugged the command mike extension lead out of the back of the 503, problem solved. The command mike extension leads were long and getting interferrance from other appliances on the long run to the flybridge. In our case the fridge was the culprit when ever the motor kicked in. I was advised to re-route the cable away from noise sources (not easy to do in our case).

Generally I love the ICOM software, and especially their implementation of dual watch, tri-watch and priority scan, which is great when leading a CIC and you need to keep an eye on 16, a local port traffic, and the CIC working channel (6,8 or 72). Other manufacturers DW just slice the time irrespective of the existance of a carrier (eg Silva). ICOM is the Mercedes of VHF - simply the best.
    Ocean Froggie

Batteries were full as full. We had been on shore power for a few days in Brighton, then three hours or so running down to Gosport and a couple of days on shore power there. Dont think it was battery power but well worth keeping any eye on.

I think the Icom equipment is really good, in spite of this problem. I am not so sure about interference in our case because whilst we only have a few hundered engine hours we do spend a lot of time on board and this problem has only come along two times in nearly three years.
    First time was a worry but then it never came back,,,,, untill now, two years after the first problem!!! I guess I will just wait and see if it happens again before ripping the boat apart.
    Might have a word with Mr Icom at the show.

could it be a handheld with PTT switch jammed on a boat nearby ?

People tend to wedge their handheld into any space and the PTT switch offers an ideal temporary holder.

Next time it plays up try changing channels if not already done, your own hand held was maybe too far away to pick up the PTT depressed unit.

Send a PM to Jon Brooks, he works for them and is always helpful.

Hi Dave

This is an odd one as it happens so few times.
    If it was happening all the time it would lead me to think radio or as already stated coming from another source on the vessel.

All of the abve comments would be exactly my train of thought as well, batteries etc.

I will be at SIBS I can be found on the S M Group Stand (G098) please feel free to come say hi but am not sure I will be of any further help

I am more than happy to have the guys here give the set a once over for you FOC.
    If you send it back put a covering note explaing you symptons and that info in this thread.

Oh and thank you to the others for the great comments.

Best regards
    Jon Brooks, VSMM.
    PBI.
    SRC Assessor.
    PWC Instructor
    Dealer Sales Manager
    Yaesu UK Ltd
    Standard Horizon UK Ltd

01962 866667
    07766 827368

http://www.horizonseasafaris.co.uk

Jon

Many thanks for your comments and kind offer but I think I will hang on to see if it does it again and if it does, I will take some time for a really thorough check through all the suggestions on here.
    A few days of downtime in three years and only when moored is strange but certainly disaster. Never a hitch when out and about doing the real boating stuff.
    Fantastic equipment. I have the IC-M1Euro handheld.. good performance and batteries last forever!!

David,

Have had the same problem with an Icom, but that was when the alternator belt had snapped and we were returning to the marina (6 hour trip). The battery volts dropped quite quickly and the radio displayed the same symptoms as you describe, once some charge was restored the radio worked fine. If I were a betting man I would definitely put my money on the battery, especially as it has only happened when moored up and radio returned to normal as soon as you put some charge into the battery.

Kev