Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: No problem

OK, I'll allow him a bigger tank. 75 gallons should do it.

mikef is offline Registered User

Default Overfalls?

Nah, if you're out there when those particular overfalls are dangerous you should'nt be out there full stop. Anything less than F6, ensure wind over tide, slow down a bit and its just a bit wet and bumpy for a few hundred yards. Quite good fun, really. In any case, there's an inside passage for Portland Bill, Anvil and St Albans which keeps you out of the worst of it

Default Re: Overfalls?

Well it depends, dunnit. We hit the one off St Albans in a F4 with wind/tide all wrong in a 29 footer. Jolly good fun, like you say, but it absolutely scared the **** out of a friend we had on board. She came up the companionway just as we fell off the top of one, and all you could see in front was vertical water ;-)

But anyway, like you say, best to avoid them altogether, which was my point.

mikef is offline Registered User

Default Re: Overfalls?

Sorry, my reply was a bit flippant. You should aim to pass through these overfall areas either at slack water or wind over tide or when the wind is offshore. In an onshore wind, say SW F4 against a west going tide, particularly a spring tide, then it can be quite hairy. But you have to go way out, say 5 miles, to avoid them and, if you're going from Poole to Weymouth, say, thats quite a bit of extra mileage

Geoffs is offline Registered User

Default Re: Bewareham!

Just going to be pottering around. My daughter wants to get up her water skis, so probably out around Swanage or Studland. Might try my luck up to Wareham, so a beer might be on if I don't end up the mud.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

Geoffs is offline Registered User

Default Sound Advice

Michael Fish, I think it was, last evening said,

'If you've got a small boat on the coast, don't EVEN think about taking it out this weekend'

I shall be following that advice.

terryw is offline Registered User

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. Starting to rethink and might head straight for Weymouth, with Poole as a bottling-out option. We have taken onboard the warnings about tidal races, and if we make Weymouth we will play it by ear. Wife loves Dartmouth, and if there is the remotest chance of reaching there by Sunday PM I think she will accept anything thrown at us.
    Anyone from Southampton / Hamble fancy joining us (weather permitting)?

Default Re: Which marina in Poole?

Didn't think of that, but not really on to expect the Missus to lug it round Poole shops.
    I wonder what the charge is to leave just the outboard?

Five quid per two hours! quite spoiled my Hog Roast bun
    (but in fairness the dockmaster did tell me they don't rigidly enforce the two hour limit)

hlb is online now Registered User

Default Re: Thanks for the advice

I do the trip quite alot. From Plymouth. Usual first stop is Salcolmbe or Dartmouth. Then the boring crossing of lyme bay to Weymouth. then Poole or Solent. If it was me. I'd head for Salcolmbe just because it's nicer and theres a good fuel barge there. Then potter down to Dartmouth and Brixham maybe. Dont rate Torquay very highly. But all IMHO.

No one can force me to come here-----------
    ----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

Default Re: Thanks for the advice

Only thing against Salcolme, is you have to use a mooring , rather than a pontoon, so dinghy/water taxi to get ashore. Having said that, very picturesque