The US-registered car carrier, Honor, is anchored outside Southampton. Watch footage of the assessment team being airlifted to the ship

27 February 2017

The US-registered car carrier, Honor, remains anchored outside the Port of Southampton following a fire last week.

The vessel was in the English Channel when the fire broke out in one of the cargo holds. None of the 21 crew on board were injured.

The flames were quickly put out by the ship’s fixed firefighting system and the area sealed.

Honor then headed for Southampton.

A car carrier Honor leaving Zeebruge

Credit: CEphoto/Uwe Aranas/Wikimedia Commons

Teams from Hampshire Fire and Rescue, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and the Port of Southampton were airlifted to the ship to investigate the damage and assess if the vessel could return to Southampton.

The MCA has since released the footage of operation, which was carried out by a UK Coastguard search and rescue helicopter based at Lee-on-Solent.

Lee on Solent helicopter crew member winches someone on board

A member of the Fire and Rescue Marine Response team is winched onto the helicopter. Credit: MCA/You Tube

The MCA said the Homor is in a stable condition.

Commenting on the situation, deputy to the Secretary of State’s Representative for Maritime Salvage and Intervention, Colin Mulvana, said: “The vessel berthed safely in Southampton on Friday evening and over the weekend the vessel replenished the fire-fighting systems.”

“The vessel has now returned to anchor outside the port where venting operations will be conducted when the plans for the operation have been developed and approved,” he added.


24 February 2017

The US car carrier, Honor, was in the English Channel when the fire broke out on board earlier this morning.

The vessel was en route to Baltimore from Southampton. 21 crew are on board.

The UK Coastguard was contacted at 0345, and is now coordinating the incident.

In a statement, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the Honor’s fixed firefighting systems were used to attack the fire and the cargo space has been sealed.

The ship’s crew continue to monitor the cargo area.

Video: Man rescued after clinging to boat for more than 12 hours

Honor has full manoeuvrability and has now turned back towards Southampton, where it is planned to anchor to the South East of the Isle of Wight.

UK Coastguard is monitoring the situation closely and the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service has been notified of the incident.

A Fire and Rescue Marine Response team is to be airlifted on board the vessel by the UK Coastguard search and rescue helicopter based at Lee on Solent to further investigate the fire damage and determine whether or not it is safe for the vessel to return to Southampton Port.

In addition, a pilot from Southampton Port and an MCA Marine Casualty Officer will be sent to the vessel to assist the assessment process prior to the vessel being allowed to return to Southampton.

Commander for the UK Coastguard, Andy Jenkins, said: “The 21 crew are still on board the vessel and they are safe and well.”

” We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as it develops,” he stressed.