The search for at least four sailors continues after several boats were capsized during a US sailing regatta on Saturday
At least four sailors are still missing after a severe storm hit a US sailing regatta on Saturday, capsizing several boats.
Two bodies have so far been recovered from the water following the tragedy near Mobile Bay in Alabama.
The search for the missing sailors continues as US Coast Guard crews scour the area where the race took place.
The US Coast Guard’s Capt. Duke Walker said in a statement: “In a combined effort, multi-agency responders have covered more than 2,500 square miles searching for survivors and we will continue to do so tonight.
“We are very grateful for the continued assistance of state, local agencies and Good Samaritans who helped individuals in distress. Because of these combined efforts, over 40 people were rescued throughout this case.”
More than 100 boats and up to 200 people had been taking part in the 57th Dauphin Island regatta when a squall hit.
In footage posted online, dark grey skies can be seen overhead as one crew battle against strong winds and heavy swells.
Describing the scenes to CNN, sailor Susan Kangal said: “It’s the worst storm I’ve seen short of a hurricane. It came out of nowhere and we had a call telling us to go ahead and put the jib up which we did.
“Lightning started popping, I sent all the crew below and I couldn’t get the main down. It happened so fast it just turned completely white, the boat almost capsized, we were probably about an inch from capsizing.
“Everybody was ready to jump, I didn’t have a lifejacket on, I grabbed the horse shoe and put it round my neck and I just held on. It’s the closest to death I’ve ever come.”
It was initially belived that up to five sailors were missing following Saturday’s storm, however one man was found at his home on Sunday.
The sailor had registered for the regatta but decided not to take part and was unaware he was the subject of a search.