For the first time in more than 30 years, the public will be able to explore the newly restored Daniel Adamson at Liverpool's Albert Dock.

The Daniel Adamson steam boat sailed into Liverpool’s Albert Dock on 3 May following the completion of a multi-million pound restoration of the vessel.

It has taken volunteers thousands of man hours to return the tug to its former glory, and those attending Steam on the Dock this weekend will be among the first people to see their efforts.

The Daniel Adamson, known affectionately as The Danny, is believed to be the only surviving steam-powered tug boat to be built on the Mersey.

It was saved by The Daniel Adamson Preservation Society more than a decade ago after it was scheduled to be scrapped. Enthusiasts bought the Edwardian vessel in 2004 for just £1 and then began the tireless work to save it.

The restoration took place at the Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead where the Daniel Adamson was originally built in 1903.

A £3.8 million Heritage Lottery Fund award, as well as support from the Mayor of Liverpool helped pay for the work. This has included returning the tug’s saloons to their 1930s elegance.

The chairman and founder of the Daniel Adamson Preservation Society, Dan Cross said: “Our long-awaited launch is going to be an emotional day for all the volunteers who have tirelessly campaigned and physically worked on restoring The Danny.”

“Sadly, we have lost some of our volunteers along the way and our thoughts will be with them as we finally launch The Danny back on its own steam on the Mersey waterways,” he added.

Cross said the tug will become a new tourist attraction for Liverpool and the North West and will be moored at the Albert Dock.

“She will be available as a static museum attraction, cruises, private hire and also as an educational resource. We need to thank the expertise and skills of Cammell Laird’s who have proven that its shipbuilding and also restoration is world-class and its craftsmanship can now been seen for hopefully hundreds of years to come on The Danny,” he concluded.

The Danny’s working life spans more than a century.

According to the society, the twin screw, coal-fired steam tug was built by the Tranmere Bay Development Company.

Originally called the Ralph Brocklebank, it was one of three tugs built for the Shropshire Union Railways & Canal Company (SURCC), carrying passengers between Ellesmere Port and Liverpool. This service continued until 1915.

During the First World War, the tug also had a short stint working for the Royal Navy as an unarmed patrol boat around the Liverpool coastal area.

It was then acquired by the Manchester Ship Canal Company (MSCC) in 1921 for towing and carrying passengers between Manchester and the canal entrance at Eastham.

After being chosen as the official director’s launch, the tug was given a radical refit in 1936. It’s name was also changed to the Daniel Adamson, after the MSCC’s first chairman.

After decades of towing and being used for hospitality, the boat eventually came out of service. In March 1986, it was was laid up in Ellesmere Port before being bought by the the preservation society.

The Danny will be at the Albert Dock until 15 May.

The tug will then be moved to Sandon Dock so volunteers can be trained in the sailing and upkeep of the vessel. The Daniel Adamson will then be on display at the International Mersey River Festival which runs from 3-5 June.