The UK Coastguard is once again asking sailors to make sure they have proper communication equipment on board following a search for an overdue vessel off Fleetwood, Lancashire.

Sailors are again being warned to make sure they have the correct communication equipment on board following a search for an overdue boat off Lancashire.

The search, which took several hours, involved the HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter from Caernarfon, volunteer RNLI lifeboat crews from Blackpool and Fleetwood and the Knott End, Fleetwood and Lytham St Anne Coastguard Rescue Teams.

The boat was initially reported as missing at 19.30 on 24 November 2016.

Two people were known to be on board, and after the UK Coastguard checked with family members, an extensive search was carried out around Fleetwood.

A trailer and vehicle belonging to the two were also found back on land, with no sign of them having returned.

The overdue boat was eventually found anchored by the two lifeboat crews.

The two people on board were safe and well and had originally intended to stay out overnight following engine problems earlier in the day.

Due to the overnight weather forecast, the vessel was towed back to port by the Blackpool lifeboat.

Commenting on the incident, the duty controller for UK Coastguard Dai Jones said: “The vessel had been out for 12 hours with no sign of a return. We were unable to contact them to find out where they were and a search was carried out. Although they were safely anchored we advised them to come in.”

He has this advice for those heading out on the water.

“If you’ re going out on your boat, make sure you carry means to contact the Coastguard if you get into trouble, but also make sure that someone knows where you plan to go and when you intend to be back,” stressed Jones.

Earlier this week, the UK Coastguard issued a similar warning after a solo yachtsman was forced to use flares after he became dismasted off the Cornish coast.

Luckily, the flares were spotted by a passing cargo ship, who contacted Falmouth Coastguard, and the man was rescued from his vessel.