The 37-metre Masteka 2 is now being towed back to Sydney, Australia. A nearby cruise ship came to the superyacht's aid after it started sinking.

6 October

Two tug boats are now towing the superyacht, Masteka 2, back to Sydney harbour, 43 hours after the crew signalled that they were in difficulty.

The vessel was on passage from Fiji to Sydney when it lost its steering and began sinking around 260-kilometres east of Port Macquarie in New South Wales.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) detected emergency beacons registered to the charter motor yacht at around 5am (AEDT) on 4 October, 2016.

AMSA made contact with the superyacht’s crew, and the cruise ship, Carnival Spirit diverted to assist.

Two female crew members were evacuated from Masteka 2 to the Carnival Spirit, while the remaining four crew remained onboard.

They were dropped supplies, including satellite phones and two dewatering pumps, which they used to stop the leak and stabilise the superyacht.

Two tug boats reached the Masteka 2 at around midnight on 5 October, 2016. It is expected to take at least a day to tow the motor yacht to safety.

Masteka 2 is based in Sydney Harbour for private luxury charters.

According to the website, Sydney Harbour Exclusive, which charters Masteka 2, the vessel can be rented for $3,000 per hour or $22,000 a day.

It has five cabins for up to 12 overnight guests, with a lower and upper lounge and an open deck area over four levels which can accommodate up to 80 guests.

Masteka 2 was nominated in 2009 for the Super Yacht of the Year Award in the 30-40 metre category.

The superyacht’s charter itinerary includes Fiji, Vanuatu, the Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef.



4 October

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) says the superyacht, Masteka 2, is now “under control and stable” after is started sinking on 4 October, 2016.

In a media statement, AMSA said its Search and Rescue division had responded after it detected emergency beacons registered to luxury charter yacht at just after 5am (AEDT).

Six people were on board the superyacht, which was around 260-kilometres east of Port Macquarie in New South Wales.

“AMSA established satellite communications with the crew, who reported that the vessel was taking on water and had lost steering,” said the statement.

The cruise ships, Pacific Pearl and Carnival Spirit, responded to AMSA’s broadcast call for assistance.

The Carnival Spirit diverted to the area and evacuated two female two crew members from the Masteka 2 using its fast rescue boat.

Carnival Spirit comes to the aid of superyacht, Masteka 2

Carnival Spirit comes to the aid of superyacht, Masteka 2. Credit: AMSA

The remaining crew members elected to stay with the vessel to attempt repairs.

The Brisbane-based Dornier search and rescue aircraft was tasked to the area by AMSA, where it dropped two dewatering pumps to assist with repair efforts.

The leak has now been stopped and the superyacht will remain where it is overnight until a tug boat arrives to tow the vessel back to shore.

Carnival Spirit will remain on scene to monitor Masteka 2 and provide further assistance as required.

No-one on board the superyacht was injured during the incident.

On its Facebook page, AMSA wrote: “A big thank you to the Master and crew of the Carnival Spirit for their assistance today with a superyacht in distress off the NSW coast.”

“The Carnival Spirit evacuated two crew members and provided supplies to the yacht which had lost steering and was taking on water.”

“AMSA’s Brisbane Dornier 328 search and rescue plane dropped two water pumps and satellite phones to the yacht and the crew have now stopped the leak and are waiting on a tow,” concluded the post.