A man caught speeding past the Houses of Parliament in a speedboat has been fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £1,800 in costs.

A man who tried to dodge a speeding fine after he was caught doing 40 knots outside the Houses of Parliament has been ordered to pay out almost £5,000 by a court.

Ross MacGregor made no attempt to slow down as he sped along the River Thames, despite being pursued by the Marine Policing Unit, who had activated the sirens and blue lights.

Magistrates sitting at Westminster Magistrates Court heard that the 26-year-old boater later skipped the country shortly after the speeding incident.

The prosecution was brought by the Port of London Authority, which was represented by the law firm, Blake Morgan.

The court heard that MacGregor drove his speedboat in a dangerous manner on the River Thames – hurtling through a busy section of the river more than 25 knots over the speed limit.

His dangerous navigation risked his own life as well as others.

Magistrates were told that MacGregor’s speedboat was heading downriver from Vauxhall Bridge past the Houses of Parliament through a congested section of river at high speed.

The speedboat was travelling at between 35 and 40 knots. The speed limit on the River Thames is 12 knots .

Eventually MacGregor stopped and when spoken to by the police said that he was not aware there was a speed limit on the river.

He told police racing took place on the river “all the time”.

MacGregor left the country shortly afterwards and emailed the Port of London Authority to say that he was living in Asia and Australia and did not plan on returning to the UK any time soon, magistrates heard.

He failed to attend Westminster Magistrates Court in April of this year, and the court issued a warrant for his arrest.

As soon as MacGregor landed back in the UK in November, he was arrested and detained by the police.

He was produced in custody at Westminster Magistrates Court and pleaded guilty to the offence.

MacGregor, of Badgers Copse, Camberley, in Surrey, was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,800.